UDT Gear, complete on ebay $12,480.00 !

digi-shots

I didn't see anyone else here mentioning this one so I thought I would.

Here's something I've never seen offered before...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291012171471&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:3160

It's got a starting bid of $12,480.00.

I've read a bit of conjecture on UDT ka-bar knives and whether they were "issue" items or not. They're the "smooth" handle ka-bar knives, stamped USN MK2 on one side of the guard and the ka-bar name x'd out on the other side. The blades are bright and not blued.

Seems this ebay item shows a fellow all suited up in UDT gear and is wearing one of these "smooth" handled knives. There's a bunch of photos, so check them all out to see a good shot of the knife.

If anyone has any actual period photos of a navy diver with one of these knives, I'd love to see it.

I've read a bit of conjecture on UDT ka-bar knives and whether they were "issue" items or not. They're the "smooth" handle ka-bar knives, stamped USN MK2 on one side of the guard and the ka-bar name x'd out on the other side. The blades are bright and not blued.

They are not military issue knives. According to US military edged weapon authority, Frank Trzaska (a member here) they are post war commercial pieces fashioned from period USN Mk2 knives. Frank's original research appeared in Knife World magazine and he makes a convincing case that these pieces were manufactured by Weske Cutlery of Sandusky, Ohio.
Below is a hot link to another thread regarding these blades:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55871-navy-non-fuller-udt-blade-marked-m3/