ID needed on a set of packs

sethro

Hey everybody -

I picked up these packs at a flea market a while ago - any ideas? The field pack is about the size of a mussette bag - I'm guessing French (but marked 'US').

The pack frame is a M1952 ruck frame with two quick release buckles, like the ones on the later issue packboards, but with a cloth covering for the metal bit and a snap to keep it from quick releasing unintentionally.

Anybody seen these before?

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

image7.jpg

im not much of a equipment guy but it sort of looks like the ski packs made for the 10th MTN.

and yes, I am totally prepared to be corrected on this too :D

craig_pickrall

The Musette type pack is commercial and intended as a child's school book bag. It was probably made in Japan. Look inside for a sewn in white cloth tag that has probably been cut off. These were available at K-Mart and Wal-Mart in the late 70's or early 80's IIRC.

I'm not sure about the Mountain Pack frame. It may have been an experimental item or may have been made up by a surplus dealer. The leather pocket at the top of the frame is normally attached to the pack rather than the frame. It usually has two web straps sewn to the top flap of the pack. The leather piece is a pocket that slides over the top of the frame and closes with a snap. It looks like someone was trying to make a pack board rather than a pack frame.

wow, I was way off with the bag.

but sort of right with the mountain frame. a little.

im getting better! I used to just be ALL wrong! :D

I've seen surplus dealers at gun shows carrying quantities of those, and it seems that some had comm gear mounted on them.

My $ .02.....

Thanks everybody! I kinda figured the pack was some sort of knock-off. I've seen one other example of the frame on a forum somewhere, but nobody seemed to know what it was. Maybe a transition between the packboard and the lightweight pack frame?