M116 Trailers

BM59_Fan

I recently bought a M116 trailer for 150.00 that I have been told is an early M116 basic (c1950-1970) because the brake handles are curved and run side to side vs being straight and runnig front to back. My trailer was once a Welding rig, many are configured as generator trailers. Mine is missing the bows. For a while I was sure it was an M116A1, but now know it to most likely be an M116, although it could be a very early M116A1. To further confuse the whole thing the frame is missing all the id plates which I have now bought NOS for an M116 and are waithing for them to come in the mail. The trailer was one of two that were in a persons back yard pile in Wagon Mound NM and had been there for almost 30 years.

Can any shed some light on the M116 trailer story?

008986780.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The M116 series is a 3/4 ton chassis only, (frame, axle and wheels). This is an earlier version as the M116A2 has the GM style 8 lug bolt pattern wheels to be used with the CUCV series and the M116A3 is a 1 ton Chassis meant for the HUMMVEE series. This was originally a generator or welding setup most likely. The lights where replaced by composites somewhere down the road and it's missing the rear landing leg. Also the one in the pic was repainted for use in the desert.

Is the one you're talking about the same as in the pic because that one that you show is at the DRMO and it has the bows.

The hubs and rims on the trailer I have have a 5 lug nut pattern. The configuration shown in the OP picture is correct for my trailer, my brake handles are of the curved type that operate side to side vs being straight and operate front to back. There is not and nor had there ever been a surge brake on this unit. The landing gear on the trailer is a simple foot that folds up between the frame arms. I am missing the bows and the canvas, and when I got the trailer the rear lights and the plug cable were missing although the chassis wiring was intact. I have obtained military 24 VDC lights for the trailer, definitely not org for the trailer as they contain LEDs for the low vis lights, I bought a stock cable and have modified it with the addition of a plug body to fit the connector on the rear on my 710K Swiss Pinzgauer. As I said before the data plates were missing and have been for quite a while. The person I bought the trailer from had originally bought the trailer w/equipment for the generator/welding units on it and the trailer just sat out in his yard ever since he removed them, he has no idea where the original bill of sale is. They have been sitting unused for over 30 years, but are really in great shape for sitting for the length of time, one has to love the dry air here in NM!!!