T/4 Walter E. Cummings 166th Signal Photo Corps

Hürtgenwald

When I met Bill Cummings in 1994 he was living on the same street as my parents. I was already out of the house but I would go to the Pomona CA gun shows with Bill and my Dad. During one of the trips I asked Bill what he did during the war and he said I was the first to ask him. He gave me an Iron Cross second class and some photos he took from a POW in Czechoslovakia. He also showed me all of the photos and negatives that he had at the time. When I talked to his wife last month, she said that he gave the negatives to one of his 166th buddies who had a photo studio and Bill never got them back as his buddy passed on. One of those negatives was of the tank "Cobra King." That photo can be found in Ralph Butterfield's book "Patton's GI Photographers" on page 56. There were other photos that I saw that had Bill in a Kubelwagen with a German woman, but unfortunately those may not exist anymore.

Here's one of Bill during the Battle of the Bulge. I went walking with him once when it was snowing (He was 89 at the time) and he told me that most of the time during the bulge he was just trying to stay warm.

post-122270-0-89617200-1384612913.jpg