T/4 Walter E. Cummings 166th Signal Photo Corps

Hürtgenwald

Article from a 1992 gathering of "166ers." Russ Meyer sent this article to Bill Cummings.

Top Left to Right: Russ Meyer, Paul Fox, Fred Owens, Jim Ryan, and Homer Foreman

Seated: Jimmy Lee, Charles Sumner, and William "Bill" Teas

post-122270-0-57616700-1386209527.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In Bill Cummings memory book there was a row of negatives sent from Russ Meyer in the late eighties. I had the photos developed this week. Here's how I found them.

post-122270-0-55396300-1387423771.jpg

Photo #3 has Ralph Butterfield at center and two others from the 166th resting in a courtyard. The jeeps have trailers and the men are wearing liners only which was allowed after the war ended.

post-122270-0-37762600-1387424535.jpg

Photo #6 Last one of a cameraman at rest on the trailer. More jeeps can be seen in the background.

I hope you enjoy these photos as they were almost lost to time. Someday I hope more like this will surface.

post-122270-0-35125600-1387425113.jpg

USCapturephotos

I still haven't had a chance to get over to see Eric. Hopefully soon. He was very excited to hear about this grouping and the interest that still exists for his unit. Thanks again for posting.

Paul

Morning report from 28th May 44 showing two detachments and their assignments. Walter E. Cummings Jr. was attached to 4th Armored.

post-122270-0-14507100-1388006003.jpg

USCapturephotos

Hey I'm scheduled to see Mr. Weisenhutter this coming Saturday morning. I will bring up this thread for him to see. He and I are both excited! Will let you know how it goes.

Paul

166th party in the 60s. Bill Cummings is down in front with white shirt. Russ Meyer is at center. Can anyone ID the rest?

attachicon.gifBill Cummings Collection Reunion.jpg

This collection is great. Thanks for sharing!

In this photo Charles Sumners of the 166th identified theindividuals as follows: (ID's are from "Darkness Visible: Memoirs of a WWII Combat Photographer"):

Seated: John Marshall, Kenny Parker, Orville Hallberg, Bud Musae, Fred Mandell, Carlton White, Dick Simon, Billy Newhouse, (Looks like he got Mr. Cummings ID wromg)

Center bending: Lt. Gene Moore

Standing 1st row: Sammy Senninburg, Harry Downard, Paul Fox, Lou Connell, Red Bryson, Russ Meyer, Lou Dorman, Jim Ryan, unidentified

Back Row: Ralph Butterfield, Gene Abrams, Fred Owens, Eve Meyer

Hürtgenwald

This collection is great. Thanks for sharing!

In this photo Charles Sumners of the 166th identified theindividuals as follows: (ID's are from "Darkness Visible: Memoirs of a WWII Combat Photographer"):

Seated: John Marshall, Kenny Parker, Orville Hallberg, Bud Musae, Fred Mandell, Carlton White, Dick Simon, Billy Newhouse, (Looks like he got Mr. Cummings ID wromg)

Center bending: Lt. Gene Moore

Standing 1st row: Sammy Senninburg, Harry Downard, Paul Fox, Lou Connell, Red Bryson, Russ Meyer, Lou Dorman, Jim Ryan, unidentified

Back Row: Ralph Butterfield, Gene Abrams, Fred Owens, Eve Meyer

captaxe,

Thanks for the IDs. I haven't read "Darkness Visible" by Charles Sumners yet but plan on getting a copy soon. I think he ID'd Russ Meyer and Bill incorrectly and I'll have to do some crosschecking. I found that it's very difficult putting the old faces with the wartime photos without verification, so I can see how even a vet can mistake a face after 20 years. As soon as I get them named I will ask Bill's widow if she can verify thier IDs. Hopefully Mr. Weisenhutter and Paul can work on this too.

Thanks All,

Brad

USCapturephotos

Hey Brad.

Heading to see Mr. Wiesenenhutter in about 2 hours. Will let you know how it goes. I hope his eyes are a little stronger today so he can see the photos. Either way I know he appreciates your interest!

Paul

USCapturephotos

Ok Brad. Mr. Wiesenhutter sends his greetings. He loved seeing this and said it was like "ghosts from 70 years ago" when he saw his signature in the book. He also has a copy of the 166th book and told me that they had a local German photographer/ printer in the village of Wildbad Kreuth make the books for the unit. This is somewhere in the vicinity of Munich I think he said.

He recognized some of the names but the photos are difficult for him since he is really having trouble with his vision these days. I did save the thread on his favorites and he plans on going through it slower with a magnifier on his own time.

He also had signatures in the front of his copy including Yoishi Okimoto, a Japanese American GI. He told me that Okimoto went on to be a photographer for President Truman. Do you have anything from Okimoto in your collection that you know of?

He also talked again about how much of the film and chemicals used by the unit was captured German stuff as their equipment was considered non essential with all of the supplies coming in at the beach head. He said that they would take the captured film, un roll it from the German spools and reroll it onto spools for our cameras in the darkroom trailers which I thought was very interesting.

He even talked about one time being ordered to a French village supposedly in Allied hands that had an abandoned train there and they were looking for supplies. He arrived in his jeep and he "felt eerie"....and suddenly was surrounded by FFI men who weren't sure about the Americans either. Eric took out a pack of Chesterfields and he said that "broke the ice". The Frenchman said that the Germans had in fact "just left moments before" and that's why they were unsure of who Eric was at first.

All for now!

Paul

USCapturephotos

That is really really interesting. I will correct the record with Eric next time I see him. Thanks for digging that up Brad!

Paul