My Veterans Day display at Northern Kentucky University

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

Every year for the past 5 years I have been asked to set up a display for my old Alma Mater, Northern Kentucky University. Back when I attended they really didn't have a veteran organization on campus and limited support, Over the past few years A student Veteran's Organization has been growing on campus and my display this year was set up for the dedication of the new Veteran Resource Center on campus as well as a program that is part of their Military history Lecture Series. I am honored to be asked and to support our veterans who are returning to school after serving across the globe.

I value your opinion, and yes I know I need to change the shirt on the Korean War Ike, but I don't have a light blue shirt at present to use. (it has been mentioned in the past) Thanks for looking.

Robert

Pic 1

post-6492-0-25787100-1384480209.jpg

mywifesays-ohno-morestuff

Greetings from a fellow Kentuckian. Your display looks great! Wish I could have seen it in person. The G.A.R. case is very interesting. Its something I was not familiar with, until a couple weeks ago I came across a "Kentucky's welcome to the G.A.R." certificate in a rather ornate frame and a uniform button. Its a poem written by Ida Goldsmith Morris. Its a bit rough, but I thought it was pretty unique so I bought it. I read a quick wiki type internet description, but I intend on learning a bit more soon. If its something you might be interested in seeing, I can post a photo in the coming days. Again, I love the display, the torsos? and display cases on the table make it really clean, neat and organized. Best wishes.

PFC. Bernard Elkins Btry.D 737th AAA BN. Pacific Theater WW 2

SSG. George A. Elkins Team 46 MACV / SOG Khanh Hoa Vietnam

Killed In Action 10/9/69

Beautiful!

How did you tuck in the pants underneath the mannequins?

LF

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

Nicely Done Robert!!!!

And I looked, and Behold a Pale Horse:

And his name that sat upon him was death,

and Hell followed with him.

Revelation Chapter 6, verse 8

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

kyhistorian01

Beautiful!

How did you tuck in the pants underneath the mannequins?

LF

To Answer your question, the mannequins with pants are hard plastic department store mannequins and there are hollow spots inside the base of the legs to tuck the pants up into. The drawback is they don't stand very well on their own so I have to use a clamp behind them so they don't fall over.

Thanks that's what I thought. it looks great displayed with the pants.

Well Done!

LF

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

Outstanding display!!! How long did it take for you to set up and how long did the display remain up?

The only comment I have is just a personal preference. I like the necks of the mannequins to be covered as the ones that I use are different colors and materials. I prefer either a white or black satin type cloth. To save on cost, Ill buy the material (i.e. fake silk sheets) at thrift shops.

Once again, well done!

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice display! Is that a Coast Artillery uniform in your first picture?

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gif

Looking for: Washington and Oregon Coast Artillery items

Any items related to the Harbor Defenses of the Columbia River and the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound, 1860s-WWII. This includes items from Fort Stevens, OR; Ft Canby, WA; Ft Columbia, WA; Ft Worden, WA; Ft Casey, WA; Ft Flagler, WA; Ft Ward, WA; Ft Whitman, WA; Camp Hayden, WA; and the following units that served at these forts:
Columbia River: 33rd, 34th, 93rd, and 160th Companies, CAC; and 18th and 249th Coast Artillery regiments
Puget Sound: 26th, 30th, 62nd, 63rd, 71st, 85th, 92nd, 94th, 106th, 108th, 126th, 149th, and 150th Companies, CAC; and 14th and 248th Coast Artillery regiments

Coast Defense Study Group member & site representative for the Columbia River forts

ASMIC member

Hi Robert,

I live in the Netherlands and also have every year a display to setup at our local museum.

You have given me some ideas here, great setup and a pitty I live to far away to come and visit.

Job well done!!

Eric