Meeting WWII vets in Washington State

Back in August, my wife and I combined our annual holiday with a bit of WWII when we spent two weeks in Washington state. In amongst Whale Watching and generally being tourists we attended Mark Bando's Trigger Time convention hosted by Rob Stark.

Killer-Whale_zps830c5f46.jpg
We then headed back to Seattle on the Friday meeting up with Rob Stark for some lunch and then to the gun range to pop off some rounds from his M1 Garand. This is Helen having a go shooting a rifle for the first time.
20130809_134135_zps88cc44fb.jpg
On the Friday night before the convention the drinks and banter flowed. It was the first time I'd met Terry Poyser who is publishing a book about Fox Company 506th PIR. Unfortunately I never got a photo of me and Terry but I did get a photo of two very good friends together - Merlin Shennum and Bob Noody. Two Fox Company veterans. It was fantastic to be sat with them.
20130809_204729a_zps8073a798.jpg
Saturday was convention day. It was fantastic meeting everybody and I really enjoyed the presentations by Mark Bando and the National Glider Pilots association.
A big highlight for me was to meet Lt Orlando 'Bill' Allin. C-47 pilot in the 87th TCS, 438th TCG flying the famous C-47 Drag 'em oot which I photographed last year and is a regular over Normandy in June conducting paradrops.
IMG_0867a_zps7ee38723.jpg
It was certainly a privilege to witness the BSM ceremony for Major Swenson, a glider pilot who took part in Operation Varsity and a great presentation by him and Patricia.
IMG_0872_zpsa3eb26bb.jpg
IMG_0874_zpsbe74e125.jpg
IMG_0882_zpsdd14a0b0.jpg
MB and Bob discuss shirts.
IMG_0884_zpsb8fb3b08.jpg
IMG_0876_zpse197f9b0.jpg
Just before Terry Poyser and Merlin left on their epic journey back to California via Montana, Terry kindly gave me a note of French invasion money which had been issued to Cpl. Marion Grodowski, F/506. In the picture below, he is sitting first on the left as part of stick #77 as they waited to take of from Upottery airfield for their jump into Normandy. The invasion money was in Grodowski's pocket when the photo was taken and survived the jump, combat and all the way back home. Thank you Terry.
Stick-77-fb_zps892d2ecc.jpg

All Airborne Troop Carrier items wanted especially uniform groupings and unit history books. Anything considered!!

Collector and researcher of IX Troop Carrier Command. Visit my Facebook page to see the research and collection.

http://www.facebook.com/IXtroopcarriercommand

Looks like a jolly good time was had by all Neil! Splendid old gentlemen...the epitomy of "the greatest generation"...and as fine a collection of shirts as you'll see anywhere! :D

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I was planning on attending that as I am friends with Rob...but my wife's plans were in direct conflict. It sounded like loads of fun...sorry I missed out.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif