Does our personality influence our collecting interests?

cutiger83

Now that it is fall and my weekends are spent raking leaves, I do a lot of thinking. And one thing I have been thinking about is if personalities tend to influence the direction that someone’s collections may take.

For instance, the medals section tends to focus more on research and history. Do people who collect medals tend to be more of the philosophical type? I confess that the dirty, gear section holds none of my interest. Do people who collect military gear, tend to be the get down and dirty, do it myself type? The helmet section is always a very vocal, volatile section. Do people who collect helmets tend to be the more out-spoken and opinionated? Do the “macho scratch, grunt and spit” people tend to collect guns? Are people who collect groupings actually hoarders who want to have lots of items?"

I tend to focus on details. My Mom used to say I was OCD. Maybe that is why I focus on insignia. I love the beauty and detail in insignia.

While money may be the “end all” deciding factor on what we collect, does our personality influence our interests?

Please note this is meant as a light-hearted look into collecting. It is not meant to be derogatory towards one certain area of collecting. :)

...Kat

Darn you woman! There you go starting another thread making us men think! It goes against our nature.

I do however think there is a reflection of personality in our collecting interests

Funny you should bring this up as I was having a similar conversation elsewhere.

As for "vocal and volatile" I don't think that is a function of what is being collected, but rather the money that is being spent for high dollar items that are also being plagued by clever and costly reproductions. You can look at WWII German collectors and Vietnam era SF collectors and see the same kind of behavior.

I don't collect medals. I've noticed in recent years it is less about collecting the medals than it is about gathering the story of the individual who wore them.

I've always thought there was a difference between DI collectors and patch collectors. The DI collectors always seemed to be more focused on the specific unit that the DI collected, and somehow seemed to be able to recite a 40 year history of the unit upon demand and without notes.

A lot of gear collectors are former GI's. Troops are always interested to see how gear fits together, and how it is either better or worse than what they have been issued.

Darn you woman! There you go starting another thread making us men think! It goes against our nature.

You just made me laugh out loud! :D

Maybe it is actually a combination of personality and male/female way of thinking. :lol:

As for "vocal and volatile" I don't think that is a function of what is being collected, but rather the money that is being spent for high dollar items that are also being plagued by clever and costly reproductions.

A lot of gear collectors are former GI's. Troops are always interested to see how gear fits together, and how it is either better or worse than what they have been issued.

Gil,

I agree that the vocal and volatile could be because of the high dollar items. However, knowing there are clever reproductions, is a certain type of personality drawn towards collecting helmets? For instance, is it someone who is a risk taker who would risk losing money if it turns out to be a fake?

I can understand about troops being drawn towards gear so maybe that could be considered a type of personality.

...Kat

I am guessing it is a split... you have those who collect headgear because that is their passion, but yes you do have certain collectors who are drawn into high dollar items as a matter of prestige and bragging rights. That goes for other high dollar collecting areas as well.

. Do people who collect military gear, tend to be the get down and dirty, do it myself type? The helmet section is always a very vocal, volatile section. Do people who collect helmets tend to be the more out-spoken and opinionated?

For myself, I collect uniforms, gear, and helmets. Neither of the things you posted about my areas of collecting would describe me at all. I would say that I'm the more philosophical type and I don't collect medals at all.

I am a somewhat complicated individual - I have many interests, many opinions that sometimes conflict with one another, and I tend to reflect quite a bit and at times be very philosophical. That being said, I collect everything. I like uniforms, medals, guns, field gear, paper items, and everything in between. Since I am not a simple individual, neither are my collecting interests! :lol:

Could it also be that collectors such as myself get bored easily, so we need to keep things diverse?

You made be consider something that I never really thought about before.

I would simply like to know what personality trait would cause a person to spend hundreds of dollars on a variation of a 5 dollar shoulder patch.

I would simply like to know what personality trait would cause a person to spend hundreds of dollars on a variation of a 5 dollar shoulder patch.

Let's just face facts. We military collectors are a weird bunch!

No personality traits define a collectors interests. It's all a matter of how you present yourself on the forum, and how you are viewed my management that shapes how your personality will be defined.

My name is Ian..and I'm a "completist-aholic"! Is counselling available? I like things to be neat and tidy...a place for everything and everything in its place. With regard to "completism", if I've got the rifle I want the sling....the oiler...the bayonet...spare clips...rifle belt.....leading to....the suspenders...canteen...first-aid pouch etc. etc. You catch my drift? Same applies to uniforms, flight gear and so forth. ARGGHHHH!! :o ( I love it really! ;) )

For myself, I collect uniforms, gear, and helmets. Neither of the things you posted about my areas of collecting would describe me at all. I would say that I'm the more philosophical type and I don't collect medals at all.

I totally understand. I was not trying to say people who collect gear are all one way or another. I was just tossing out random thoughts on collections. :)

Since I am not a simple individual, neither are my collecting interests! :lol:

Could it also be that collectors such as myself get bored easily, so we need to keep things diverse?

This is definitely something to think about. Maybe people who have a large variety in their collection are ones who don't really focus on one item. They are not detail oriented.

No personality traits define a collectors interests. It's all a matter of how you present yourself on the forum,

JS,

You could be correct. Maybe our personality doesn't reflect our interests. Maybe how we present ourselves on the forum directs our interests to collect the same as others who are like us. But then wouldn't that mean we are connecting with others who have the same personality as us? :huh:

...Kat

I like things to be neat and tidy...a place for everything and everything in its place. With regard to "completism", if I've got the rifle I want the sling....the oiler...the bayonet...spare clips...rifle belt.....leading to....the suspenders...canteen...first-aid pouch etc. etc.

Ian,

You could be onto something. Maybe people who are "completists" are people who are very neat and orderly. As you said, everything in its' place.

...Kat

I think they would say the same about people who collect medals, wings, helmets, etc :D;)

I was thinking last night. I wonder if people who collect patches are hyper. There are so many patches one could collect. From inexpensive to VERY expensive. They could be like the dog in the commercial saying "bacon!" They can run around a military show saying "patches patches patches! I just LOVE patches!" :D