.50 Steel Core Penetrator

JohnnieDavis

JohnnieDavis

Hey all, just wondering what caliber this bullet is i found in with my grandfather's medals. it's probably a no brainer, but i am more into rifle cartridges. I put it next to an EAME ribbon so you can get an idea of the size.

thanks

adam

04_30_9.jpg

hawkdriver

That is the steel penetrator out of either a M2 .50 cal ball round or a M2 AP round. He either found it on a range or some guys liked to peel the copper jacket off of them. I know a guy that uses a M2 AP penetrator for a center punch.

JohnnieDavis

that makes sense, he was an ordinance inspector after he was wounded. probably just took the bullet outta the case as a souvenir.

thanks

Adam

hawkdriver

Yes, they do. Another indication this is a penetrator is the color, steel grey. I would take a picture of my .50 penetrator, but it is rusted and can't get a good enough picture to post.

• 1 month later...

ksp45 is correct - plain ole .50 cal BMG round. That's the same projectile that comes out of the business end of my Barret. Most of them look slightly disfigured, but some resemble JohnnieDavis's pic.

The picture is poor, so it is hard to tell what it really is, but I think I will aquiesce. I took pics of all the .50 rounds I have and my penetrator. The crimp is more defined than on the penetrator.

34fmqsz.jpg

That is the steel penetrator out of either a M2 .50 cal ball round or a M2 AP round. He either found it on a range or some guys liked to peel the copper jacket off of them. I know a guy that uses a M2 AP penetrator for a center punch.

It's exactly what I did in the sixties with these fired bullets found on the ground.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.