JESUIT USMC EGA Insignia Button

tigerfan

I just came across an interesting coat that looks like a type of ike jacket. The buttons have a USMC ega with the letter J over the top. Is anyone familiar with this? Thanks.

post-2609-0-27508000-1384126640.jpg

That would make sense since the coat has a tailor label from New Orleans. Interesting that they used an EGA for the background.

Thanks for the info. !

Hello,

I found this on Wikipedia:

"In 1967, Jesuit became the first high school in the country to have a Marine Corps Junior ROTC program. For several years, this program was mandatory for all students; the combination of Jesuit priests and Marine Corps JROTC instructors made the school's disciplinary system unique among American high schools."

The school is still in business. Perhaps they could shed some more light on the uniform and it's buttons and insignia.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

• 6 years later...
thomas noel osborn

I am a 1958 graduate of Jesuit High School in New Orleans. This was the button on the jacket of our winter green daily uniforms, also replicated in the school shoulder patch. (See attached.)

At some point in the last 50 years, the "winter greens" were eliminated from the uniform, and the shoulder patch was changed to no longer include the USMC emblem. (Notice that the Siemper Fi banner was not present in this rendition.)

Jesuit MC logo patch.jpg

On 10/18/2020 at 1:04 PM, thomas noel osborn said:

I am a 1958 graduate of Jesuit High School in New Orleans. This was the button on the jacket of our winter green daily uniforms, also replicated in the school shoulder patch. (See attached.)

At some point in the last 50 years, the "winter greens" were eliminated from the uniform, and the shoulder patch was changed to no longer include the USMC emblem. (Notice that the Siemper Fi banner was not present in this rendition.)

My guess is either one of both of the following factors:

1. The Marine Corps copyrighted the EGA

2. The Marine Corps consolidated the MCJROTC under TECOM

thomas noel osborn

Thanks GySgt Brig for that insight....I am doing more research @ Jesuit High School NOLA to see if I can find out the whens, whys, and wherefore of the changeover. I will report whatever I can contribute....Thomas Noel Osborn (ex LCDR, USNR)

• 6 months later...
retread12345

NO EXPERT.  I wonder if there was any type of marksmanship training/competition at the school.    Marines love guns , maybe one of the H and R semi auto.22 variants ???

thomas noel osborn

No, no real guns anywhere in the school. We had fake/exercise rifles that we used for drill periods, and we practiced the shoulder movements with the rifles. But no school involvement with marksmanship, etc.