Musette bag and strap question

Chindit

Hello all,

I've been curious about this minor issue for a while now.

It seems that with all musette bags I've seen--regardless of condition--the bag maker is a different contractor than the carrying strap maker.

Did the bag maker sub-contract out for the straps it included? Did the bag maker simply supply the bag and strap makers the straps and the Quatermaster matched them up when issued?

(of course, perhaps I just never saw a mint unissued bag with the respective strap; and I'm just running across replacement straps).

If anyone knows how these bags and straps were made and issued I'd certainly appreciate the info.

thanks very much.

craig_pickrall

This may be a bit off course from your question but it does help to understand the usage. The universal slings were used for many different bags, not just Musette bags.

You will find the slings with two D rings or two snap hooks or one D ring and one snap hook. You will find various bags with the opposite set of D rings and snap hooks to match up with this mix of slings. The one place I know that all three combinations were used is the Universal Ammo Cases.

I have received these Ammo Cases in new condition that have the slings folded and tucked inside. Some of the slings have been made by the same maker as the bag and others have different makers.