New New diorama completed!

Pmuranyi

UUmmm you got a problem human??????????

attachicon.gifpic304.jpg

Udderly amazing...

Joking aside.. I am awestruck with the details. This is museum quality work.. I can look at it 100 times and still see something new each time I look...

Leigh

After looking at your photos several times, it's all the small details and weathering techniques that really bring this scene to life. Excellent job!

I feel your pain as to how to protect your diorama from dust and probing fingers. You will have to build some kind of plexi glass cover. I recently

made one for my small diorama. It was kind of a pain but well worth the effort. Thanks for showing your work! Bob

• 1 month later...

Paul, going through the threads bit by bit I can only repeat what all others have stated before: Simply stunning! This question may sound strange: How did you do the surface, the earth, the street? The materials I used for my dios tend to rip open (term?) after a while.

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ho! I use Hudson and Allens "Ground work". It really is just paper mache with some powders in it to make it look brownish. I sculpt that onto the styrofoam base over wood. I pat down the ground work till its thin (about an 1/4 inch or so), just covering the styrofoam. Building up areas and smoothing out other areas at this time. I wait till its dry about a day or two, then I paint it with Model Masters Burnt Umber. A great base color to cover the ground. I dried brushed the groundwork with Model Master Sand color. Then when that dried I went over it with Sand and a little Rust color added to it.

The grass was added by coating areas with diluted white glue( 50% water 50% elmers), and placed where I saw fit. I did this over a few nights. The snow got the same treatment. Glue water and spinkling where I thought looked good. This was the base for the dio. But........ Doing this system just once was not good. It looked flat and stiff. The grass, snow and bare areas of ground looked cookie cutter and not realistic. I went over the whole thing at least two more time adding and covering up areas that I thought looked dull and unrealistic. So, it was layering of the same materials but changing the pattern each layer. This is how mother nature really does it and It takes a while to finish. Lots of screw ups and patients. Oh, when I put the first layer down I took some old Italeri tracks and pressed them into the road. Dry brushing the track (tracks?),in the ground with Sand color paint really gives a nice dimension to the dio.

Hudson and Allen are closed now promising to soon re-open. Paper mache is good for that first layer (any type will do), but it is normally white mache and takes a ton of paint to cover. Cracking too. Thin it out. Pat it down to 1/8 of an inch or so. If need, build up layers but let it dry 100% before the next layer goes on. The Hudson and Allen Ground work seems not to crack no matter how thick. I guess its the (what they call), "Organic Matter" to it. Look like pepper.

Working now on another major dio. Subs, docks, half tracks and eye strain galore.........

Hope this helps. Keep me posted!

Paul

Greetings humans!!! Here are a few photos of the H&A Ground work.

As you can see, it is a sort of paper mache with ground up organic matter. Dosen't crack or tear open. MIx with water but keep it medium wet. I love the stuff. I checked H&A 's site and they are still not opened yet. A place called hobby bunker seems to have a few bags if you need.

post-7107-0-29967700-1390533187.jpg

post-7107-0-26190200-1390533288.jpg

http://www.hobbybunker.com/products/hudson-allen-studio-185/mfg

Caio fo now! Just got in my update set for the GPA jeep! Not a bad little kit.

Ciao!

Paul

Paul, thanks a lot for this detailed information. I have never heard of H&A before. Following the link you have posted, I found some very nice stuff incl. the groundwork you have used, thanks again! Hope they have some more available or I have to search for some similar stuff over here.

Lars

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
Backtheattack

Looks great. There is a new Osprey book dealing with Panzerfaust against M4 Sherman, the added armor plate protection of the Sherman is part in this book.

The vehicles are amazing and the little barn is so well blinged out.

The color and weathering of wood is not easily done but your broken fence in the cow pen looks great.

I was always a big Shep Paine fan, ever since his German half-track was on the cover of Scale Modeler magazine back in the early 70s, your work is very similar.