USAF Fire Island Alaska 626th AC&W Squadron patches

Siamundo

I recently picked up this little set of US Air Forces patches from Fire Island Air Force Station, Alaska. The AAC are nice big 5" ones. The 626th Airborne Control and Warning Squadron was stationed there in the 1950s and 60s. The patch might be Japanese made.

post-2744-0-67575200-1384049467.jpg

post-2744-0-70569800-1384049527.jpg

awesome find. There was an amazing amount of military building in the 50's and 60's up here. I wasn't even aware of this site's existence. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you and glad you liked it. I too had never heard of this station until I found the patch and did a little research. As close as Alaska is to Russia, I'm sure there were all kinds of little known activities going on there during the cold war years.

Fire Island was in recent news up here. There is a wind farm there that is planning of increasing its number of generators. Not really on topic, but amusing how right after this thread is posted, it surfaces in the news.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone, I'm glad you liked the patches. I had not seen the AAC patches in this size before and thought they were a little uncommon.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

In 1951 & 1952 I was stationed at Nome Alaska in the 626th AC & W radio relay site when it was first

built. 8 or 9 of us airmen were stationed there. I never heard of Fire Island station until years later.

I have never been able to find information  about "Anvil Mounttain"  at Nome.. The 626th patch I think came 

after I left Alaska and the 626th AC & W statioon on Fire Island was established some time arouind 1955. 

Fred S.