1930's Aviation Questions

notinfringed

I posted a thread last week in the ephemera and photographs section, but I figured I would post a link here if that is okay. I am trying to find info on a squadron that passed through Lubbock Texas in the 1930's. The insignia on one of the planes appears to be either a hornet, a wasp, or a mosquito. I posted the pictures here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/192683-1930s-aviation-photos/

I would greatly appreciate any help, as I am way out of my league when it comes to aviation, especially this early. Thanks in advance

Levi

It seems to be the 43rd School Squadron (later Pursuit Squadron) from Kelly Field, Texas. The 43rd received P-12's in 1932. Compare with Keith Ferris's artwork of 43rd P-12's of that era. It's a painting, but Ferris's father was an instructor in the 43rd at that time, so the accuracy is there.

post-1949-0-56312200-1384063482.jpg

It seems to be the 43rd School Squadron (later Pursuit Squadron) from Kelly Field, Texas. The 43rd received P-12's in 1932. Compare with Keith Ferris's artwork of 43rd P-12's of that era. It's a painting, but Ferris's father was an instructor in the 43rd at that time, so the accuracy is there.

Thanks for the reply. That is a great painting. That definitely looks like a match.

Does anyone know if there are any roster lists for Kelley field, or perhaps yearbooks floating around that someone could look at for me? I am trying to find out if Dale V Gaffney was stationed there in the 1930's

• 2 weeks later...