Non Airborne useage of M1A1 Carbine by regular GIs

2ad82recon

I know that photo was used by Winchester on the cover of their magazine. Not sure what the cation says. If I remember to check when I get home in a couple weeks I’ll post if there is a caption. 

• 2 weeks later...

And a Standard M1 carbine carried by a GI of the 11th Airborne Division's 511th PIR, Leyte December 1944, but what the devil is that sling for it, when you save it and ZOOM in on it, it appears to be some kind of homemade one with bullet pockets right!

hyt6.jpg

10 hours ago, patches said:

And a Standard M1 carbine carried by a GI of the 11th Airborne Division's 511th PIR, Leyte December 1944, but what the devil is that sling for it, when you save it and ZOOM in on it, it appears to be some kind of homemade one with bullet pockets right!

hyt6.jpg

It's a white cloth belt for the .30 cal heavy and light mg's. Lots of pic of USGI's and Turks carrying their ammo the same way in Korea...

turkish carbine 2.jpg

turkish carbine.jpg

turkish m1.jpg

5 hours ago, iron bender said:

It's a white cloth belt for the .30 cal heavy and light mg's. Lots of pic of USGI's and Turks carrying their ammo the same way in Korea...

turkish carbine 2.jpg

turkish carbine.jpg

turkish m1.jpg

Yeah that;s gotta be it, does look like he made it into a sling for his carbine right.

Not to go off topic from the op, but since it was brought up, some more pics of 30 mg belts being used as slings/bandoleers from Tom Laemlein's book, M1 Carbine. All of these pics are obviously PTO WW2, Army and USMC..

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

• 2 years later...

One South Korean GI with the M1A1 Carbine, can't tell if the other one has it or the M2 Carbine. ROK Unit unknown 1952.

m1a11 carbine rok korea.PNG

10 hours ago, patches said:

One South Korean GI with the M1A1 Carbine, can't tell if the other one has it or the M2 Carbine. ROK Unit unknown 1952.

m1a11 carbine rok korea.PNG

Very cool picture, on a side note it appears that the carbine in the foreground was not updated with a bayonet lug. Can't really tell on the M1a.

Thanks for posting

• 8 months later...

Kinda looks like a Airborne Carbine, but in many ways doesn't, anyone know what kind of weapon that is? some kind of Commercially made one?

Photo in Vietnam I think sometime in 1966, possibly a Green Beret, if not  or an other Special Ops type and of Advisor.

P1966o.PNG

P1966.jpg

On 11/11/2013 at 6:09 PM, teufelhund said:

Utah Beach, June 9th 1944

9th infantry division landing ( Eight stars to victory)

On the anti-tank wall on the right, you can see the butt of a M1A1 carbine.

Utah beach was close to a DZ and Sainte Marie du Mont, but I Wonder that a "lost" M1A1 Carbine stayed there for 3 days before beeing recuperated by an octofoil GI.

vxlt9s.jpg

Cheers

T

s-l1600 (2).jpg

4 hours ago, patches said:

Kinda looks like a Airborne Carbine, but in many ways doesn't, anyone know what kind of weapon that is? some kind of Commercially made one?

Photo in Vietnam I think sometime in 1966, possibly a Green Beret, if not  or an other Special Ops type and of Advisor.

P1966o.PNG

P1966.jpg

It looks close to a BIANCHI M4 collapsable aftermarket carbine stock and maybe & Iver & Johnson M1 carbine ( War Baby vol II page 798)

As I recall it was  Plainfield,  that produced that type of stock along with the metal ventilated hand guard.  Look up Plainfield  M1 carbine folding stocks, lots of pictures.   SKIP