Non Airborne useage of M1A1 Carbine by regular GIs

2ad82recon

As the title says gents..has anyone got any shots of regular "leg" GIs or other non airborne troops usig the m1A1 carbine.

Please

regards

Lloyd

I don't have any photos, I have seen a photo of an MP in Europe carrying the M1A1 Carbine. Additionally, I picked up a grouping from an AAF Lt. which consisted of one. I believe it is common knowledge that these were issued to AAF crew members. Jack Angolia

ThompsonSavage

Jedburghs carried them too, but you can consider them 'airborne' so this might not be what the OP is looking for.

(picture from olive-drab.com)

post-45626-0-02338300-1384086693.jpg

Thompson Savage thanks great set of pictures...that 11th Armoured one stands out....i have never seen that one before.Is the GI on the right wearing an Arctic M41 ?

Please keep them coming guys

Also didnt we work out that the guy with the M1A1 on D Day was Naval Beach battalion or is the old grey matter going west...:-)

Regards

Lloyd

SKYLINE DRIVE

GI´s of an un-identified US unit in Luxembourg. Neither the unit nor the village have been identified yet, but it is sure that the pictures were taken in Luxembourg. The three soldiers do not present any characteristic specific to an airborne unit, with the exception of the M1A1, so it is a possible hit.

K046_07_zpsc15a6491.jpg

K046_02_zpsa670d0a7.jpg

This picture of an 8th Infantry Division grunt with an M1A1 was posted here on USMF.

http://i73.servimg.com/u/f73/17/19/04/00/quelqu10.jpg

Thankyou Skyline Drive..i would hazard a guess at the unit being the 83rd Infantry division judging by the curious mix of uniform anomolies...great pics

the 8th Inf div picture i would hasten to add the GI at the back far left has an M1A1 too judging by how tight the sling is...

Please keep them coming...there is a reason i am asking such a question.

Regards

Lloyd

SKYLINE DRIVE

It´s not a GI. but still WWII in the ETO. A dispatch rider of the "2me Régiment de Dragons" of the 1st French Army, in the Moselotte Valley during the Vosges Campaign in autumn 1944.

IMG_1899_zpsd42bb2ac.jpg

Robswashashore

My late father, MSgt William Gould of the USAAF 8th Weather Squadron, on patrol near Bluie West1, Narsarsauq, Greenland. Carrying his trusty M1A1 (on which he qualified) just in case he should meet up with a German or a polar bear.

post-12350-0-05238000-1384114517.jpg

More 90th Division, 2nd Bn, 358th near Metzervisse, November 1944

post-3887-0-90530900-1384121331.jpg

Theres another 90th photo that I know of from July I think. Just cant find it at the moment.

paratroopkid506th

I think some cooks and ammo carriers for bazookas or brownings would, but it would be very rare if not airborne

And out in the Pacific too!

The Paratrooper Carbine seen as the personal weapon of 37th Buckeye Infantry Division CG Major General Robert Beightler, Solomon Islands 1943-44.

USA-P-Rabaul-p376.jpg

I know a US Marine Corps veteran that stated he carried one in 1945 at Iwo

garandy...was he an Ex Paramarine who had retained his weapon ?

regards

Lloyd

Utah Beach, June 9th 1944

9th infantry division landing ( Eight stars to victory)

On the anti-tank wall on the right, you can see the butt of a M1A1 carbine.

Utah beach was close to a DZ and Sainte Marie du Mont, but I Wonder that a "lost" M1A1 Carbine stayed there for 3 days before beeing recuperated by an octofoil GI.

vxlt9s.jpg

Cheers

T