Museum grade Archival Boxes for uniforms/garments

ludwigh1980

Hello, My collection has grown to the point that I can only display a small part of it. The bulk of it is uniforms that date before WW1 with a few Civil War uniforms thrown in. I wanted to make sure they survive my stewardship 'til the next caretaker, so I started to look into archival storage. I have come across a couple producers of museum grade archival boxes but the price is hefty ($50-70 plus shipping per box) and only one uniform is supposed to be in the box. I was wondering if anyone has used these and how many you can stack before a box reaches its crushing point. Is there one firm that produces a good and viable product (sufficient protection and preservation) for the best money that is recommended.

Thanks for any suggestion,

Terry

I just purchased my first box from a company call Gaylord. I've looked at quite a few websites and none of them were cheap. The box I have is pretty sturdy and I did put a few uniform pieces in one box. As long as none of the pieces are being crushed under heavy weight I don't think it will be an issue. I also seperated the pieces with Muslin fabric.

http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=17546

I buy Melinex sleeves and archival boxes from these guys all the time. Looking forward to more for Christmas. Sign up for their mailing list. They have 10-20% off sales, sometimes with free shipping, every few months and it really helps keep the storage costs down.