EGA Question

Tim B

5 different service cover variants.

Top row, 1st emblem is brass construction, marked H&H and IMPERIAL...a known WWII mark, as the dual H&H and Imperial marks were used together from 42-43 briefly following the merger of the two companies. Stabilizer is in the chest

2nd and 3rd emblems are both H&H sterling marked. One has a stabilizer in the chest, the other in the head. Also, the wires used for the ropes are a bit different, one has a tighter twist. But both are as far from the anchor as the H&H Imperial

Bottom row, 1st emblem is simply marked H&H. 2nd is marked H&H and SER203...notice the shinier finish, also the rope running tight against the anchor. The SER 203 is 50s, the H&H alone is I believe also post WWII...late 40s perhaps. Both have stabilizers in the chest areas

101_3801.JPG

Some dress variants. 1st is WWII, H&H with proper silver and gold markings. 2nd I believe to be Post-WWII until early 50s, marked simply Viking. Third is likely late 40s/early 50s transitional marked both VIKING and SER 203. Again, note the closeness of the rope on the SER marked piece. All have stabilizers on the chest level

101_3798.JPG

Brig,

Thanks very much for taking the time to show these beautiful examples! They provide a great side by side reference for anyone reading here.

I had read that 2007 suit against H-H. Seems to be something common to these manufacturers after being in the business for awhile, doesn't it? Still, got to hand it to them, they made a nice product back in the day.

Okay, so I will assume my two EGA's are WW2 era then. I did notice some examples where the rope was closer to the anchor and in some cases, slightly different in lengths on the reverse, I just always attributed it to production differences. I also noted some had the tighter twist in the ropes and had thought that might be indicative of period as well but, apparently not.

So, I learned quite a bit by this thread just on this '37 H-H EGA. Much appreciated to you and Darrell for taking the time to answer my questions.

Best,

Tim

And I have to thank you, this had been one of the more fun topics in the EGA subforum in awhile. Quite often it's the same handful of us posting and commenting on our new finds, or us identifying M37's and M56's over and over. Some really interesting discussion here!