Any CW Reenactors on the forum?

cthomas

Hey guys. Just wondering how many other Civil War reenactors are out there. I'm with the 1st Minnesota out of Ft. Snelling. I've been with them for a few years now & can say I'm really enjoying the experience. One of my first events was a small to-do over at Ft. Ridgely, MN. My first major event was Corinth, Mississippi back in 2005 (I believe...). I've since been to Rich Mountain, WV (2006) & the Mill Springs event last year.

If you're a fellow reenactor, stop by to say hello!

-Chuck

I'm attaching a tintype I had made at the Rich Mountain event in 2006. I'm second from right....

post-518-1209493621.jpg

market garden

Chuck,

Hi, I reenact with the 2nd Missouri. Co.K ,C.S. and the 21st Mo. U.S.. I have been doing this for over 25 years. I was at Corinth also

I was a Confederate there. You guys look hard core (Dirty shirts) looks good so am I.

" Missouri Forever"

Market Garden

bayonetman

I have wondered if there were any Civil War people on the forum. That was my first love and still holds a strong place in my interest. Have had to sell off all but one of the guns from my collection, still have a few odds and ends that I picked up over the years of the period, have quite a few bullets.

Back in the Centennial I was in the 22nd Virginia Infantry. West Virginia was a very divided state during the War and a Union Unit (the 7th WV) already existed so we decided to go Confederate. The original 22nd was formed from Militia companies in the Kanawha Valley around Charleston, first known as the Kanawha Valley Rifles. The Colonel of the regiment was George S Patton, grandfather of the WW2 general. He was killed at Winchester in 1864 and by the time the war ended, the 22nd mustered only a small number of men at Appomattox.

In the photo, we are in the Bloody Lane at Antietam (although the real 22nd was not at that battle). I am on the far right just under the Reb flag. We and the 27th Virginia got together at most of the reenactments as we were dressed pretty much alike, and we got an award as the most authentically dressed unit in a couple of the actions.

22BATTLE.jpg

market garden
Chuck,

Hi, I reenact with the 2nd Missouri. Co.K ,C.S. and the 21st Mo. U.S.. I have been doing this for over 25 years. I was at Corinth also

I was a Confederate there. You guys look hard core (Dirty shirts) looks good so am I.

" Missouri Forever"

Market Garden

Here is a photo of me portraing a Missouri State Guard officer. This was a state defence force raised in 1861 for six months service.(Most men held Southern values

in the M.S.G.)

The tintype is of a orignal M.S.G. Soldier ,I own never published till now. He is "ID" Note :he is wearing a weel hat or a mid 1830's leather militia cap.

post-510-1210028976.jpg

post-510-1210029093.jpg

post-510-1210029268.jpg

post-510-1210029359.jpg

Glad to see there are other CW Nuts like me w00t.gif

Bayonetman-

I can relate to your sentiments for the genre. CW history also holds me captive ever since I can remember being a small boy. We had a family trip back in the 80's that just so happened to pass by Gettysburg. My Dad knew I was fascinated by military history so he made a point of touring of stopping by, headless of my sisters objections. Boy, am I glad he did! I could not get enough of things Civil War. I always wanted to get involved with re-enacting but could never afford to do so back then. I'm just real glad that I hooked up with some great guys that introduced me to the hobby & got me squared away. I'm indebted to them...

'market garden'-

Do you remember where you were on the field at Corinth on the last day you guys charged Battery Robinette? I was crouching behind the dirt berm at what would be YOUR far left as you guys came marching out of the woods. I actually got into a game of "King of the Hill" with another Reb as he tried to charge over my section of the berm. I met him on top & we commenced trying to push each other off while our rifles were crossed. It was a blast!

One heck of a hot day, wasn't it?

It was an awesome site to see you guys clearing the woods with your flags unfurled and everyone coming on line. The guy next to me told me afterwards I had a smile from ear to ear & there was no one going to wipe it off...

Great time had by all. Hope to do it again.

I appreciate you guys taking time to post your photos & sharing your stories. I look forward to hearing from more of our members thumbsup.gif

Lee Ragan

Been a reenactor for about 15 years now. Slowly getting away from Civil War tho and into Indian Wars (both antebellum and post C.W.). I've been a member of several units, both U.S. & C.S. over the years and have been everything from a Private (my favorite), to a Capt. of infantry.

I belong to the Sons of Confederate Veterans (where I serve as Camp Color Sergeant), and the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

Reenacting goes well with my other hobby as an insignia collector.

market garden

Yes I remember that day. My comander was in some hand to hand a federal attacked him and went crazy (not you.)He had to be dog piled.It was to crazy there but fun.

I was at Corinth also with the Critter Company. I dropped out of Civil War reenacting after that event to concentrate on WWII collecting which has been my primary focus for many years.

Yes I remember that day. My comander was in some hand to hand a federal attacked him and went crazy (not you.)He had to be dog piled.It was to crazy there but fun.

That's too funny...and sad at the same time. I guess the heat got to him too :blink:

I do remember looking down the line to my left & watching some Rebs try to make it over the berm. I thought there was some struggling going on over there but I quickly turned my attention to the guy coming at me.

101st-

Sorry to see you go. I'm in this hobby until the good Lord tells me so. Somehow, I'll have to finagle collecting/re-enacting & family life all in one shot.

Let's here from more of you guys! Gals to ;)

Doughboy1918

I have been reenacting since 1996. I portray a Michigan artilleryman, but quite often we portray a confederate battery when needed. We field an original M1841 bronze 6 Pdr. We attend several events every year and we also compete in live-fire competition. I have a small business that sprang from my artillery interest making reproduction sights for civil war cannon. My sons both enjoy the hobby too. The photo was taken last October, that's my oldest son pulling the lanyard and I'm the gunner on the far right wearing a slouch hat.

post-58-1210107519.jpg

My dad and I used to do Civil War renenactments many years ago. We were with the 5th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (Confederate) and later joined the 91st Ohio (Union). I can remember going to a lot of reenactments and hitching up with the 36th Virginia (Confederate). Lots of good memories. If memory serves me right most of the reenactors with the 5th Ky. were out of Ashland/Catlettsburg/Paintsville area and the 36th Va. reenactors were out of the Huntington, WV area. Bayonetman may even know some of them!

Arch

I joined into War Between The States reenacting in August of 1996 at the age of 16. I have attended battles such as... Resaca,GA, Olustee,FL, Honey Hill,SC, River's Bridge,SC,..etc.

The largest I attended(and probably the biggest there will ever be) was the 135th at Gettysburg. I was a member of the 22nd Battalion Georgia Heavy Artillery, Co. "A" "Bartow's Artillery". I've been doing War Between The States reenacting for roughly 12 years as of this coming August.

As a member of the unit we used to field at least four guns by ourselves. (1) M1851 12 Pdr. Field Howitzer, (1) 1863 3" In. Ordnance Rifle, (2) 10 Pdr. Parrot Rifles. I also have experience in Seacoast Artillery having fired a 32 Pdr. Seacoast Gun on a barbette carriage. I also have the most trigger time on the largest black powder muzzle loading gun in the country. Thats a 9" In. Dahlgren at Fort James Jackson which is where we were stationed the majority of the time when not at events. I left the 22nd in 2002, politics were the reason.

I now choose which events I attend and they're now hardcore events. I am now currently doing three impressions... "Savannah Republican Blues", Co "C", 1st Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment(AOT), "Savannah Volunteer Guards" Co. "A", 11th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Battalion(ANV), and "Emmett Rifles", Co. "F", 22nd Battalion Georgia Heavy Artillery(captured in the assault on Fort McAllister.)

Well, this is my CW experiences and time in....

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

mobrigade

I've been reenacting since '97, mainly only do authentic stuff now. I hardly ever go anymore with graduate school and work. I used to really love it. I was at Shiloh in '97, G-burg 135th, Mobile, Perryville, Resaca, Franklin, Raymond I and II, and the list goes on and on. Good times.

bayonetman
My dad and I used to do Civil War renenactments many years ago. We were with the 5th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry (Confederate) and later joined the 91st Ohio (Union). I can remember going to a lot of reenactments and hitching up with the 36th Virginia (Confederate). Lots of good memories. If memory serves me right most of the reenactors with the 5th Ky. were out of Ashland/Catlettsburg/Paintsville area and the 36th Va. reenactors were out of the Huntington, WV area. Bayonetman may even know some of them!

Arch

I do indeed remember a group from the Ashland/Huntington area, in fact we hosted them once on our range for a competition. My memory isn't what it was, and this was in about 1963, so names pretty much escape me. I do somewhat remember a Tom Wilson (I think) that was in that group.

market garden
I've been reenacting since '97, mainly only do authentic stuff now. I hardly ever go anymore with graduate school and work. I used to really love it. I was at Shiloh in '97, G-burg 135th, Mobile, Perryville, Resaca, Franklin, Raymond I and II, and the list goes on and on. Good times.

Battles of Franklin and Raymond were great. I really enjoyed them. Have you guys ever done Pea Ridge Ark? Its great. Market garden

I have ben reenacting civil war and ww1 since 1980's.I have ben too more events then i can recall.

I was a member of the 26th North Carolina for over 20 years.I am now starting in with a group

called the Lee sharp shooters witch is a authentic campaigner group.I have had lots of fun and

made lots of friends in reenacting over the years. Here is a pic of me with a 2 band cs richmond from

my collection.The cs richmond is a id piece.The mans name was Willaim F Vogler.He was in

the 21st North Carolina.

2-1.jpg

Guys-

Thank you for stopping by & sharing your CW enacting experience with us all. I appreciate the photos too. Let's keep 'em coming!

Anyone going to the Gettysburg event June 26-30th?

In the late 1970's and early '80s, I was with George H. "Pap" Thomas' Mudsills. Made several small events and a couple of the early large ones at Gettysburg. Had a great time!

Hi

New to board. I am with the Confederate 8th Tenn. Company C. My second year and my Brogans still hurt my feet.

Reb8

market garden

I have wore out perhaps ten pair of brogans in the last 25 years. I wore them till they were nothing. Hard core campaigning done that in Mo. Miss.

Tenn and Ark. Its not funny having a "blow out" on a 20 mile or more march.

. Market garden

I have wore out perhaps ten pair of brogans in the last 25 years. I wore them till they were nothing. Hard core campaigning done that in Mo. Miss.

Tenn and Ark. Its not funny having a "blow out" on a 20 mile or more march.

. Market garden

You started younger at this then me and I don’t think I will make it another 25 years to wear out all those Brogans.

I will be jellen like a fellen on the next get together. The next is the Memorial Ceremonies for the Confederates buried on the Rock Island Arsenal and at least thats more standing then marching.

Reb8

market garden
You started younger at this then me and I don’t think I will make it another 25 years to wear out all those Brogans.

I will be jellen like a fellen on the next get together. The next is the Memorial Ceremonies for the Confederates buried on the Rock Island Arsenal and at least thats more standing then marching.

Reb8

I started doing it when I was 18 Im 43 now. my last road march was two years ago. I have been to Rock island and seen the graves there. sad. also many years ago did the

reenactment at Davenport Ia. across the river. I give my self two more years and Im hanging it up.

John

• 1 month later...
Croix de Guerre
I have wondered if there were any Civil War people on the forum. That was my first love and still holds a strong place in my interest. Have had to sell off all but one of the guns from my collection, still have a few odds and ends that I picked up over the years of the period, have quite a few bullets.

Back in the Centennial I was in the 22nd Virginia Infantry. West Virginia was a very divided state during the War and a Union Unit (the 7th WV) already existed so we decided to go Confederate. The original 22nd was formed from Militia companies in the Kanawha Valley around Charleston, first known as the Kanawha Valley Rifles. The Colonel of the regiment was George S Patton, grandfather of the WW2 general. He was killed at Winchester in 1864 and by the time the war ended, the 22nd mustered only a small number of men at Appomattox.

In the photo, we are in the Bloody Lane at Antietam (although the real 22nd was not at that battle). I am on the far right just under the Reb flag. We and the 27th Virginia got together at most of the reenactments as we were dressed pretty much alike, and we got an award as the most authentically dressed unit in a couple of the actions.

22BATTLE.jpg

Old CW guy here as well. I got started back in the 125th in the '80's. I had Western Virginia ancestors in the 36th Virginia, 22nd Va, 8th and 16th Va Cav. I haven't reenacted in years but I still have all my stuff!

In the late 1970's and early '80s, I was with George H. "Pap" Thomas' Mudsills. Made several small events and a couple of the early large ones at Gettysburg. Had a great time!

Here we are in the middle of a "fight" at Gettysburg around 1982.

post-203-1214621738.jpg

• 6 months later...
sharpsshooter
Hey guys. Just wondering how many other Civil War reenactors are out there. I'm with the 1st Minnesota out of Ft. Snelling. I've been with them for a few years now & can say I'm really enjoying the experience. One of my first events was a small to-do over at Ft. Ridgely, MN. My first major event was Corinth, Mississippi back in 2005 (I believe...). I've since been to Rich Mountain, WV (2006) & the Mill Springs event last year.

If you're a fellow reenactor, stop by to say hello!

-Chuck

I'm attaching a tintype I had made at the Rich Mountain event in 2006. I'm second from right....

Hi, I started out in 1979 with the 9th Va. Co H dismounted cav Lees Rangers. In 1998 I joined the 149th Pa. Bucktails Co I then fell in with the 1ST Pa. Rifles Bucktails Co. B ( 42nd PA Bucktails ) I was a Private/Cpl then promoted to OrdSgt/Qmsgt . My second wife and I were married Civil War style at our Bucktail Reunion in 2001.