hawk3370

Spanish American War Sgt W.W. Connor

This uniform was worn by Sgt W.W. Connor who served with the Massachusetts NG in Cuba during the Spanish American War. He was shipped home when he contacted malaria. Uniform consist of his tunic, pants, campaign hat, canteen, haversack, shoes and leggings, and cartridge belt with Mass belt buckle. Also included was his diary which was kept day to day throughout his war time experience.

post-6022-0-15998300-1383952854.jpg

post-6022-0-13028400-1383952871.jpg

Outstanding!

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way.

That is unbelievable!

You are his witness now, without a witness, they just disappear!

Quote from the movie TAKING CHANCE 2009

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Is that a diary I see?

Yes a day to day account of his service in Cuba which includes several engagements with Spanish troops as well as a good account of daily life in the army during that period.

Terry

Superb set, Span Am groups are few and far between and one that is this complete is quite the rarity. Thanks for posting and undertaking the burden of preservation.

Terence

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Seeking Model 1895 and 1902 Named Officer coats as well as Spanish American War Tropical Uniforms.
Also pre WW2 marine uniforms. Always pre-1945 Colorado National Guard Items wanted! Also seeking Rhodesian

Uniforms and Gear used by Americans in the Rhodesian Security Forces during the Bush War (Africa).

Fortune cookie say: "An expert is someone that knows so much about so little."

Any way you can post a pic of the shoes?

Bill,

Will try to get a couple over the holiday, have to take the legging off.

Terry

Any way you can post a pic of the shoes?

Bill,

Attached are pic of the right boot. Didn't take both off, to difficult to get them back on. Hope this helps some. These may be a private purchase boot, they came with all his other uniform items.

Terry

post-6022-0-04892400-1385946840.jpg

post-6022-0-76378500-1385946922.jpg

post-6022-0-11837700-1385946941.jpg

Bill,

Attached are pic of the right boot. Didn't take both off, to difficult to get them back on. Hope this helps some. These may be a private purchase boot, they came with all his other uniform items.

Terry

Bill,

Last two pic.

Terry

post-6022-0-08377400-1385947027.jpg

post-6022-0-76901000-1385947046.jpg

Thanks for doing this! I am not an expert in footwear, especially this period, but I agree that they may be private purchase? Hopefully someone better then me can chime in here. Thanks for the upload!!

In your WW Connor display, are those marksman badges on the collars? Do you know what kind of collar insignia were typically worn by enlisted men in the state guard units? Most displays I've seen don't have any kind of collar devices(USV, or numbers) except for the officers.

Thanks, and that is one incredible grouping!

Steve

In your WW Connor display, are those marksman badges on the collars? Do you know what kind of collar insignia were typically worn by enlisted men in the state guard units? Most displays I've seen don't have any kind of collar devices(USV, or numbers) except for the officers.

Thanks, and that is one incredible grouping!

Steve

Steve,

Sorry about the delay in answering your question. Family emergency put me out of the loop for awhile. I don't think the enlisted men wore any collar insignia during the 1898 period with the exception of the marksman collar badges. I have seen a picture in a period book showing this Mass unit in formation. On the end of the first rank is a Sgt and the marksman collar insignia can be clearly seen. Don't know if other state units followed this but the Mass units appeared to

Terry

Beautiful display!!!! Thanks for posting!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif