U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey

hhbooker2

• 3 months later...
Basic Rifleman

These recently came up for sale, and I was fortunate enough to get them. Interestingly, this particular thread is nearly 15 years old and these are the first metal insignia shown. I also couldn't find any shown online at other museum or dealer sites.  I have a feeling the texturized examples are from WWI, and the smooth insignia are a little earlier. I love how the insignia themselves show texture, not just the USCGS disc - that makes them unique to other branches and they really "pop" in person. 

cgs.jpg.34f33102ffa2730913bd1ce6c706c672.jpg

DSC_5939.JPG

DSC_5940.JPG

On 7/31/2022 at 1:07 PM, navyman said:

Very nice assortment of rare/scarce rating badges. Nice early Bugler DM, also.

thumbnail (13).jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey all. Love this thread. I'm a current NOAA officer trying to compile a history on uniforms of the Corps and its predecessors. I'm looking for regulations from the 1930s/ 40s and a set from 1977. Any leads on these would be appreciated. I've already exhausted the NOAA library, NOAA Corps HQ, the National Archives, and Google (I Think).

An interesting thing I learned from a former officer today, in the 80s officers wore Air Force blue shirts with the Navy SDB uniform.  I've never seen a photo of this, but very interesting.

I'm also always interested in buying Coast Survey uniforms, equipment, and insignia. If anyone has anything taking up space feel free to contact!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently found another one with the help of a friend. Not in as good of condition as my Oiler 1st Class uniform but I couldn't pass this up. A Chief Boatswain. It was a hard fought battle and if you're on here I want you to know I'm sorry lol but it's going to a good home where it'll be appreciated and well documented on my militaria page. 

20230915_194624.jpg

20230915_194627.jpg

• 1 month later...

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this.  I have a feeling this may have been cut from a USCF&GS rating badge.

Any other thoughts? Very nice bit of Bullion work.

USC and GS.jpg

USC and GS rev.jpg