U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey

hhbooker2

Seldom seen anywhere for sale or trade are the rating badges of the United States Coast & Geodetic Survey. Here is a page from the 1926 "Regulations Governing the Uniforms of the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey." It so happens I have a number of USC&GS rates' illustrations in full colour showing variations of embroidery, these as I recall are mainly those rated as chief petty officers. thumbsup.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1209487687.jpg

Seldom seen anywhere for sale or trade are the rating badges of the United States Coast & Geodetic Survey. Here is a page from the 1926 "Regulations Governing the Uniforms of the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey." It so happens I have a number of USC&GS rates' illustrations in full colour showing variations of embroidery, these as I recall are mainly those rated as chief petty officers. thumbsup.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

Only one of those that I've picked up:

post-769-1209489768.jpg

DAN: Nice USC&GS rate for a Assistant to Engineer (a/k/a Machinist's Mate). think.gif Here is a Chief Boatswain's Mate rate.

post-837-1209497817.jpg

While these are not rates, they are the branch and rank insignia worn by officers of the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey in the First World War when these devices were worn on the high collars if the white and khaki service coats. Commissioned officers had a horizontal gold fouled anchor with a silver disc with a gold triangle in the centre. Chief Engineers had a gold ship's screw of three blades in gold with the silver circle with a gold triangle. Surgeons wore a gold caduceus of a pair of snakes interwined on a winged staff with a silver circle and gold triangle in the centre. Watch Officers and Mates wore a pair of gold binoculars with the silver circle and gold triangle. Deck Officers wore the silver circle with gold triangle alone without other device below it. These devices were worn on the lower sleeve of the winter navy blue double-breasted Navy sack coat with gold lace stripes 1/4" below. Between the stripes were coloured velvet cloth: light blue for Engineers, dark maroon for Surgeons, and dark brown for Mates and Watch Officers. ermm.gif

post-837-1209509188.jpg

That's a really great piece of insignia! First one I've ever seen (and I'm always looking).

Kurt

That's a really great piece of insignia! First one I've ever seen (and I'm always looking).

Kurt

Thanks, Kurt.

I beat out board member Garth Thompson by about 30 seconds on this piece at an Alabama show.

-dan

• 2 years later...

I think the bottom patch with the triangle within a circle is U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey. Not 100% sure on that one tho. :think:

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I thought I would share these rates and marks with you. You rarely see the rating badges and I'm not sure about the marks. I don't know a whole lot about the marks but was told the Gold bullion are for officers, Silver bullion for cpo's and red triangle ones are for below cpo. Not sure what the other two are for or are they just variations?

2nd class coxswain

post-2501-0-50789400-1370198700.jpg

2nd class boatswain mate

post-2501-0-11829100-1370198702.jpg

1st class bullion cook

post-2501-0-97652100-1370198698.jpg

Jason

subsystem4

Very cool.

I have never come across any of these in the flesh so to speak. I have only seen them in books.

-Jay

subsystem4

You're right the gold insignia are for officers and the silver are for CPOs. The red triangles are for civilian volunteers. The last two are for enlisted men below CPO.

-Jay

RustyCanteen

I know I have a fairly nice image of an enlisted man around somewhere that was purchased for a "project"; I just don't know what I did with it..

Thanks for the help and comments guys. This was the only thing I could find.

It looks like the white rating badge is pre ww2 and maybe the blue non bullion rate. But I think the bullion rate is ww2 era.

post-2501-0-96573100-1370206160.jpg

Back pic of bullion cook

post-2501-0-50421000-1370206133.jpg

• 2 weeks later...