Question on Navy Good Conduct Medal

cap_george

This is more of a question than just a reply. I recently picked up these two US medals on ebay. I think the Navy Good Conduct maybe a copy, but I have not seen a top suspension bar like this before (it looks like the extra award pins)? The other medal is an American Defense Medal, medal looks ok, but the ribbon looks like the old ribbon bar type design? Also the suspension does not look right. Any thoughts Please. Thnaks.

post-8200-0-56412200-1383884853.jpg

post-8200-0-46390200-1383884879.jpg

Hi Cap!

I hope you've been doing well. I've wondered about these for years. I believe, but please don't take my word on this, that these were made for display purposes. Perhaps in the early 1940's? I do, however have a named example. I've never heard a definitive answer about it, but the general consensus is that the vet used the top bar drape as a replacement for his damaged original.

Regardless they are nicely made pieces and quite the curiosity. I wish I could be more help. Perhaps there will be more info from fellow members to follow up.

Here are my examples for you to see.

Thank you for an interesting post, my best to you!

Joe

post-48324-0-41458900-1384033385.jpg

Thanks for your information, I've always wondered if these were meant to be used on the real early Navy Good Conducts, or Marine Corps Good Conducts. What ever they are, they are nicely made and interesting, as you said. I really like your 1933 NGC medal. Cheers Captain Albert