help identifying these air cadet chevrons

doinworkinvans

The stripe at left denotes Company Commander. The one in the center denotes Battalion Adjutant. I don't have a fix on the one at the right. All are for ranks held by Army Aviation Cadets, and yes, they are identical in design to those worn by West Point Cadets. Jack Angolia

The wartime National Geographics say that the wide West Point-style stripes were only worn on the aviation cadets' overcoats (after they dropped the slate blue uniform). Regular army-size chevrons were supposed to be worn on the service coat. I've never seen those big stripes worn on the four-pocket coat like that, it looks kind of odd. Interesting!

Justin B.

doinworkinvans

Thats what I thought too! Its from a "preflight" magazine/book that i am guessing cadets got... it was a part of a group I got. Its '43 dated which would be the time he enlisted. But I just thought these were huge and never saw them on AAF. So I was wondering when these started and stopped.

Never seen them like this before?

In previous version of the USMF there was my thread about those giant chevrons but unfortunately (as Bob Hudson explained me) it was deleted by accident during repair/modification works some time ago.

Here is President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Major General E.K. Yount at Maxwell Field, Alabama, April 15th, 1943. And those chevrons.

post-75-0-15811200-1383933242.jpg

post-75-0-11542100-1383933255.jpg

And here is the Oklahoma Flying School at Enid and Lt. Robert E. Davidson. And of course yet another USAAF serviceman wearing those giant chevrons... :D

post-75-0-03385900-1383933415.jpg

Notice also a fourth rocker has been added "after market" to the original three on the fellow with his hand out (in post #1). I think these probably fall under "interesting local variation." Thanks for the posts,

Justin B.

I use to have a really nice flight cadet uniform but I was young and sold it, real cheap.Anyhow the overcoat had the 'cadet' stripes and the undershirt had regulation size stripes.I think they were 2 stripes.The hat was nice with the blue background below the hat badge.

doinworkinvans

These are some great additions! I would really love to know the true story behind these and when/where they were authorized!

Never seen them like this before?? I know someone will have an answer quick!

Picture

Very Interesting photo. Where was it taken? Was this a university that also had a cadet program and would have used their existing cadet rank structure? Just as today, many schools had cadets and an existing rank structure.

What was the date of the photo?

Emerson's book on Chevrons is the bible, but does not include every possible chevron. I've learned that "Chevrons" is a great guide, but just when you say I have every chevron from a given set something new pops up.

doinworkinvans

Very Interesting photo. Where was it taken? Was this a university that also had a cadet program and would have used their existing cadet rank structure? Just as today, many schools had cadets and an existing rank structure.

What was the date of the photo?

Emerson's book on Chevrons is the bible, but does not include every possible chevron. I've learned that "Chevrons" is a great guide, but just when you say I have every chevron from a given set something new pops up.

I can't say the exact date of the photo but it came from a little book/magazine called "Preflight " and is April 1943 dated. It would def be from a training airfield or depot. A lot of his papers are from Maxwell field. Hopefully that will shed a little light! Its looking like these were strictly at the training level. But I had always seen regular chevrons on air cadets. Hopefully a definitive answer will come!