Unknown WWI era Ordnance

tigerfan

wait, that doesn't make sense with the flat side to it. not sure to be honest. one of the ww1 guys will know

might it have been a trip wire initiated explosive for no mans land? it does look sort of similar to some of the Russian ones we found in AFG. pin safety on top, meant to attach to constantina wires and posts and then would have been trip activated, but still not 100% on the conical design. this is interesting though for sure, im anxious to hear a good answer.

bob lamoreaux

I don 't want to say that the fuse is "for sure", but it looks like the fuse for a 76-mm Minewerfer round used in World War I by the germans. The caption on the photographs of this round is in French (Came from a French UXO manual -- in color): "D'autres furent charges en agents toxiques (5, puis 4 -- NOTE: referring to the photos) et leur paroi tres mince presente aujourd'hui un risque serieux." Since I don't have any language skills other than English (more or less, LOL), I am guessing that the complete round was a toxic gas round and that any UXO pieces of this projectile presents a serious risk if it explodes while being dug or deactivated. Maybe some of our German or French friends can help further.

I found the site and it shows nice photos of the fuze. I am surprised I did not find this site when I tried my own research. I appreciate the help with this !!!!