Cooling suit

mattsmilitary

craig_pickrall

It is the liner for the Toxicological Agents Protective (TAP) Ensemble. The outer garment is a heavy rubber suit made to protect against several different agents. There are several items that are part of or accessories to the suit depending on the agent handled.

The reference is:

Department of the Army pamphlet 385-3 PROTECTIVE CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT.

Yes, I believe it is for the TAP ensemble (though the labeling is a bit different from what I have seen; possible it's just an earlier example), mentioned by Craig above me. However, the cooling suit is worn on the outside of the coveralls. These are not the impregnated liners (I have a few sets of those). You can also notice that the M3 TAP hoods for the M9 and M40 series masks have small loops on the outside of the hood for the attachment of a cooling hood, made of material very similar to that of the suit in question. These would be soaked in water or some type of liquid and the wearer would be cooled through the evaporation of that liquid. I'm unsure of the circumstances where the cooling garment would actually have been used as you really have to know what you are encountering in a toxicological environment (on account they absorb water... and just about any other liquid agent).

Thanks,

Dan

Edit: 1953 is too early for the TAP cooling garmet. I just noticed the date. Disregard what I had to say. The principle of it cooling through evaporation most likely remains the same, though.