lloyd's Register of Shipping 1939-40

24th_infantry

24th_infantry

Just picked up a neat book titled Lloyds Register of Shipping 1939-40 Construction and Classification of Steel Vessels. The book us in wonderful condition and has a stamp on the inside saying "supervisor of shipbuilding, us navy New York shipbuilding corps, Camden n.j. I don't know anything about these books. I imagine this was issued to companies who constructed ships for the government. Any information is appreciated. Also are these books rare? I can't imagine too many are in circulation then again I can be wrong.

post-5589-0-99028200-1404526037.jpg

post-5589-0-20049000-1404526046.jpg

Lloyd's of London was and is the world's principal insurer of international mercantile shipping. There aren't many commercial vessels afloat which aren't registered with them!

I work for Lloyds of London. They do keep copies of these books in their archive but it's quite rare to see one on the open market. The Register of shipping is in a separate building to Lloyds. They have records of all shipping losses in WW2.

Even today you can walk into Lloyds and there is a big leather bound book listing every ship lost in the world on that day and full details of cargo and souls lost.

Neat find.

Rich

I work for Lloyds of London. They do keep copies of these books in their archive but it's quite rare to see one on the open market. The Register of shipping is in a separate building to Lloyds. They have records of all shipping losses in WW2.

Even today you can walk into Lloyds and there is a big leather bound book listing every ship lost in the world on that day and full details of cargo and souls lost.

Neat find.

Rich

Now that is pretty darn cool. I'd love to see their records!!!

Actually the most impressive thing in Lloyds are all the items belonging to Admiral Lord Nelson and the Luttine Bell. Only rung on very very special occassions. The Lat being the end of WW2 and the Queens coronation. It was also rung when the Bismarck was sunk.

If anyone ever finds theirself in London let me know and i'll take you on the tour of one of the most famous buildings in the world.

Rich