Paint Removal - Clothing

Scarecrow

I acquired a tanker jacket in really excellent condition, including the knits. However it has several white paint splotches on it. The largest of which is about the size of a thumbnail. Any methods or thoughts about removing the paint? If such a method exists, sharing it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is always a difficult one and a problem which most of we collectors have faced at sometime, I'm sure! ( often due to surplus military clothing being used as civilian work-wear after the war!) At best, specks of emulsion type paint can be gently picked or scraped off with a fingernail. However, if it's old lead or oil-based paint then I fear the damage is permanent as it will have soaked into the fibers. Applying solvents or detergents will potentially damage the old fabric by fading the colour or by softening and spreading the paint stain, thereby making it worse. That's why such cleaning products usually advise trying them out on a discreet area first. A professional dry-cleaner might offer some practical advice, but I fear it might be something you'll have to live with!

Ian

Re the above...I came upon a photo in an old '47 dated LIFE magazine once. It showed two painters at work in an NYC hotel. Both were wearing heavily paint splattered Army HBT coveralls which obviously made great work-wear! :o The moral of the story is that the oil-stains on an M-41 field jacket (or whatever) need not have come from the engine of a Sherman tank. They could just as easily been acquired while dad pottered about under the hood of his Buick in 1946! :D