RARE Original U.S. Army M-1872 Enlistedman's Infantry Dress Coat

ludwigh1980

Here is one of my holy grails and a very recent purchase. Though late indian War uniforms are rather uncommon, they are quite prevailent to those that collect them (as least what I have personally found). This has come about mostly because of massive equipment needs that the Spanish American War and Philippine Insurrection brought on. When the Regular Army was greatly expanded due to these hostilities, the need for more uniforms had to be filled. The more made, the more that have survived, and this is tru today. The earlier 1880s dress uniforms continued to be worn on occation and soldiers were able to keep them upon leaving the army. The new dress uniform regulations were coming into being with the 1902 pattern uniforms and uniforms like the M-1885 Dress Coat were now obsolete and no longer needed by the Army. The predecessor of the M-1885 dress coat was the M-1872. These uniforms exhibited a marked difference from earlier U.S. Army uniforms, particular those that were fielded during the Civil War, which still filled federal warehouses and were surplus in marked quantity into the 20th Century. It is interesting to note that the Army adopted a newly designed uniform after such an econimically costly war and with so much surplus and servicable uniforms still in stock. The Model 1872 dress coat was made of dark blue wool. Trimed in Sky blue with panels on the collar. Brass numerals were worn on these panels, on each side, donoting the regiment that the wearer belonged to. Cuffs had matching color panels as well as those in the tail area. Belt loops at the waist to hold up the newly adopted M1872 Hagner Belt. A cartridge box would be worn at rear and a bayonet to one side. Until 1881 the M1872 enlisted dress cap or shako as it is often known was worn. Starting in 1881, the newly adopted "spike" helmet for infantrymen, was worn with the M1872 Coat and is shown as such in Ogden's prints. In 1885 the dress coat was changed. White replaced sky blue. The collar panels were lost in a single collar of white. The belt loops where omitted.

Pictured here is an oriignal M1872 Enlistedman's dress Coat. Exhibits the characteristics as described above, large round inpsectors mark on lining as typical of the federal issue.M1872 Coats. Exhibits numeral 1's for the 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment which during the time that this coat would have been used, served on the frontier engaging Sioux and later Apache Indians into the 1880's. Coat is in remarkable condition with very little moth activity, a few loose seams in the lining, otherwise excellent condition. Bares a costumers stamp to the lining as well. Buttons are civil war type as correct and made by Horstmann of Philadelphia. Coat came with a pair of period correct U.S. Army Depot issued trousers. Trousers exhibit features of the M1873 pattern trousers in seam arangement however it more closely resembles the M1884 Army Trousers in cut.. The earliest of the M1884 trousers were made up of the remaining stocks of civil war sky blue kersey as these are. Large round inspectors stamp inside show that this pair of trousers were made at the San Francisco Depot in California. They also exhibit U.S. Army marked revited buttons.

Also displayed is late issue M1881 Enlistedman's dress helmet with eagle plate for infantry.

Rarity. After the Civil War, the national army was greatly reduced in numbers. The increasing threat of hostile Indians brought the Army out West to protect property of an ever increasing number of settlers. At the same time hostilities with Indians were excalating, the congress at the time continued to cut military spending. The Army adopted a multitude of new uniforms and gear in 1872 and gave the enlisted soldier both a fatique uniform and a seperate dress uniform. The 1872 Dress uniforms exhibits a certain Prussian (German) influence, and probably came about after thier smashing victory over the French in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. The adoption of the spike helmet further illustrated this influence. Because ot the size of the Army, the harsh condition on the frontier, moths, floods, mold, rot, poor storage, the 1872 pattern uniforms have very rarily survived today. Besides the few examples in institutions and a handfull in collectors hands, not much has survived. They are rarer than Civil War 4 buttons Sack Coats, rarier than civil war mounted trousers. In 22 years of heavy collecting I have only seen 4-5 unmodified examples, two Cavalry, this one, and the splndid Commissary Sargeants Coat that another forum member has (and besides those examples in the Smithsonian).

Please enjoy.

post-23325-0-15459000-1383807744.jpeg

post-23325-0-68393600-1383807755.jpeg

post-23325-0-24349400-1383807767.jpeg

Absolutely stunning set, the condition is amazing as is the presentation. I for one, have never seen a complete set...thank you for posting.

Philip

daniel griffin

Tough to find jacket, much harder to find than the Model 1885. Really nice with the trousers! Thanks for posting it.

Thank you all for the comments: History Man, Dirk, Red Devil, Daniel Griffin, Sabrejet , Mario. Its one of my dream uniforms. I was actually offered the same coat many years ago when I was a young collector. At that time I did not recognize the significance and the price ($1400) was way beyond my budget at the time. Nearly 10 years later, I was able to purchase it at auction at the same price. Funny how things go around in the military collecting fraternity.

Sabrejet, yes very similar to the British Home Service Helmets. The officers example of the M1881 looked even more similar with the ornamental chain draped across the side.

Has anyone seen an artillery example in private hands? I have noticed that in the last 5 years many old collections have re-entered the market. It has been a fascinating time.

Terry

US Victory Museum

That, Terry, is one awesome uniform! Although I don't collect dress uniforms, I can certainly

appreciate them. And that one has a great deal to appreciate. Its condition appears Ne Plus

Ultra!

Msn

Thank you Terry for posting your M-1885 in mounted config. Is the coat a full mounted version with the tail panels?

Mike, thanks again. In acquiring these uniforms I am constantly reminded of the burden of preservation. I don't want to be the one where:" this item survived 140 years intact until it met you". I read some where in my preservation research that garments survive only around 400 years, before the materials just disintegrate (on average). Hopefully stable world political situations , stable storage environments and better preservations techniques will lengthen this period.

I can see why some collect medals. A large collection can fit in a safety deposit box.

dan_the_hun84

Nice set my friend! Pieces from that era have a very unique appeal for sure, interesting era they came out of as well, love anything from the wild west time.

• 2 months later...

Thank you Terry for posting your M-1885 in mounted config. Is the coat a full mounted version with the tail panels?

Hi Terry,

Please forgive me for not answering you till now. I don't know why I was not notified. It had tails like yours.

Terry

• 1 year later...

I've been in a late 19th century mood lately, reading the Army and Navy Journals, going through the regs, and revisiting the postings on the forum. I am so glad I ran across this thread again! What a great uniform! Not just rare, but a beautiful uniform to boot. Thanks for posting!