Unknown Maker's Triple Symbol Hallmark on WWII USAAF Cadet's Hat Badge

I can see why you make that observation. However, British hallmarks are invariably impressed into the metal with individual punches and not molded in relief as on the example seen here. Also, with the wings being made of brass (?) such hallmarks would not be necessary under British law as they are applied to precious metals only. Another anomaly is the "cadet" connection. AAF cadets would all be trained in the CONUS before being shipped overseas, therefore there would be no need for Cadet devices to be procured in the United Kingdom....would there? It's certainly a very interesting and unusual "trademark" and one which I've never encountered in 30 years of collecting GI insignia!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Typically impressed hallmarks.

hallmark-gold-example-773915.jpgfigura8Bbis.jpg

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Yes, after I wrote that I wondered to myself why would aviation cadet insignia be made in England? I hadn't noted that all the English hallmarks are impressed, either. The mystery deepens... it's too bad the U.S. has no system similar to the British system.

donation2015.gif

Hi,

The only places I've seen these markings are on Bastian Bros, Rochester NY marked items (eg the little V-5 Navy pins). I think I have this marking on a Cadet's Hat Badge as well as some submarine pins and some DUIs.

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Are the markings just poorly executed or did Greenduck develop their own language? I have one of these too and it just did not make sense to consider it was foreign made...but who/what/where? Glad to hear someone has a handle on it!

And I looked, and Behold a Pale Horse:

And his name that sat upon him was death,

and Hell followed with him.

Revelation Chapter 6, verse 8

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 year later...

Could these be "craft" symbols indicating the badge is union made?

I just picked up a cadet badge with these same markings and in searching the forum, found this thread. I agree with cookieman that all three hallmarks are union stamps. The oval and circle on mine have a wagon wheel design in them and the shield has "MPIU" on it. I do not believe we can say for sure Green Duck made these as their hallmark has a duck sitting on a lily pad.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/199500757/1949-illinois-licensed-chauffeur-metal?ref=market

Unless someone finds this badge on a manufacturers card, we may never know who made it.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

• 4 years later...