Unknown Maker's Triple Symbol Hallmark on WWII USAAF Cadet's Hat Badge

AirMechanic

I can see why you make that observation. However, British hallmarks are invariably impressed into the metal with individual punches and not molded in relief as on the example seen here. Also, with the wings being made of brass (?) such hallmarks would not be necessary under British law as they are applied to precious metals only. Another anomaly is the "cadet" connection. AAF cadets would all be trained in the CONUS before being shipped overseas, therefore there would be no need for Cadet devices to be procured in the United Kingdom....would there? It's certainly a very interesting and unusual "trademark" and one which I've never encountered in 30 years of collecting GI insignia!

Yes, after I wrote that I wondered to myself why would aviation cadet insignia be made in England? I hadn't noted that all the English hallmarks are impressed, either. The mystery deepens... it's too bad the U.S. has no system similar to the British system.

Hi,

The only places I've seen these markings are on Bastian Bros, Rochester NY marked items (eg the little V-5 Navy pins). I think I have this marking on a Cadet's Hat Badge as well as some submarine pins and some DUIs.

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I have identified the maker to be the Greenduck Co. of Chicago. Does anyone have any history on them or perhaps a badge made by them to confirm their hallmark?

Are the markings just poorly executed or did Greenduck develop their own language? I have one of these too and it just did not make sense to consider it was foreign made...but who/what/where? Glad to hear someone has a handle on it!

• 1 year later...

Could these be "craft" symbols indicating the badge is union made?

I just picked up a cadet badge with these same markings and in searching the forum, found this thread. I agree with cookieman that all three hallmarks are union stamps. The oval and circle on mine have a wagon wheel design in them and the shield has "MPIU" on it. I do not believe we can say for sure Green Duck made these as their hallmark has a duck sitting on a lily pad.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/199500757/1949-illinois-licensed-chauffeur-metal?ref=market

Unless someone finds this badge on a manufacturers card, we may never know who made it.

• 4 years later...

I just picked up some insignia with an aviation cadet cap badge with the three marks. I would say it's for sure Bastian Bros of Rochester.

Bastian-Bros-New-York.jpg

Bastian-Bros-New-York2.jpg

• 1 year later...

The MPIU shield (or MPB PIU shield) is a union mark. The union was called "Metal Polishers & Buffers--Platers International Union." I'm not sure which shield came first, as the union name apparently went through several incarnations. These shields appear on both Bastian Bros pieces and Greenduck pieces. The picture below is from an American Legion medal from 1945.

32719426_mpiucapture.JPG.be663dbe0e83f1d4b3c92f52a48a7335.JPG