1907 slings....how were they issued

dan_the_hun84

dan_the_hun84

Hi all

Ok, I have heard conflicing anecdotes, but during WW2, were M1907 leather slings issued in raw, or unoiled condition and it was left up to the soldier to apply any oil (if at all) and/or allowed to darken naturaly or were they isuued oiled already?

This is how they look after almost 100 years...this one is WW1 dated. It has been oiled....by whom and when it's impossible to say.

post-8022-0-78823100-1379070449.jpg

In my opinion when new they were light tan with no oil preservatives. At least that is the way I have found unissued WWII slings. Just check out ebay, etc., and look at the unused like new slings (and the price). I'm sure when in the field they applied boot grease / dubbing to them or maybe oil if available as well as saddle soap to preserve and soften them up. Plus, like Sabrejet's after 100 years of use they just got dirty. In garrison you never put anything on the sling because it would rub off on your uniform and stain it.

dan_the_hun84

In my opinion when new they were light tan with no oil preservatives. At least that is the way I have found unissued WWII slings. Just check out ebay, etc., and look at the unused like new slings (and the price). I'm sure when in the field they applied boot grease / dubbing to them or maybe oil if available as well as saddle soap to preserve and soften them up. Plus, like Sabrejet's after 100 years of use they just got dirty. In garrison you never put anything on the sling because it would rub off on your uniform and stain it.

I just got a really nice untouched Smith-Corona 03A3 from a old collection, it had no sling, so I bought an ATF repro one and was wondering if to leave it un-oiled or not. I'm really leery of neetsfoot oil that ATF talks about, I have had mixed results before with that stuff

Dan, as a "repro sling" its really up to you how you want to portray/display your '03. Is it in mint condition and are you looking to present a one-day-old rifle? Or are you looking to present your rifle as a field used rifle?

I have handled hundreds of these slings, and have yet to come across an original in a buff un-oiled condition. HTH.

ThompsonSavage

I too think these slings were issued in "un-oiled" condition. There are many WW2 photographs were the light color of newly issued slings contrasts with the darker color of field used examples.

From M1 rifle manual

post-45626-0-43702900-1383810559.jpg

Issued leather items were often in their natural flesh tone. Apart from the rifle slings under discussion here, unissued M1916 and M7 holsters can sometimes be found today in their natural un-dyed condition. Whether such holsters were subsequently oiled or not was presumably a matter for the GIs who were issued them?

I have a "minty" M1 (actually a WW2 production Winchester) The natural leather sling looks just right on it. If it was a "combat used" rifle I'd probably use an oiled sling for the correct "look".

post-8022-0-73210100-1383812171.jpg

post-8022-0-53548800-1383812173.jpg

Ian that sling is in remarkable condition. As for the reproductions, mine is pig skin and I dyed and oiled it. Even with a few coats of oil on it, it never really darkened much. So I dyed it and I'm happy with the way it looks. Here's a pic of mine that's on my 03A3.

Posted Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Amazing! Most leather slings that age have major cracks between the eyes or have completely broken. I've fancied the thought of taking two junk ones in hopes to make one good one without paying the price that a decent one goes for. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I just got a really nice untouched Smith-Corona 03A3 from a old collection, it had no sling, so I bought an ATF repro one and was wondering if to leave it un-oiled or not. I'm really leery of neetsfoot oil that ATF talks about, I have had mixed results before with that stuff

From FM 21-100 Soldiers Handbook 1941 edition chapter 5

(2) For other articles of leather equipment, clean as de
scribed above. In the case of unfinished leather, while it is
still moist give it a very light coat of neat's-f oot oil by rubbing
with a soft cloth moistened with the oil.

And chapter 6 care of the Rifle

(.e) Leather sling should be washed, dried with a rag, and
lightly oiled with neat's-foot oil while still damp. You should
do this whenever the sling shows signs of stiffening or drying.

Do you realize that the sling is still standard issue today on our sniper rifles? Here's a new one back in Iraq 05' on my .300 Win Mag 700. Used the sling shooting prone out to 1000 yds with my M14 NM at the All Army Matches in 06'.

9809700_50_.jpg

9809ord_bomb_50_.jpg

9809bottom_hook.jpg

My son and I in Baghdad 04', same M14 NM.

9809Father_and_Son_in_Baghdad_04.JPG

Everyone I've always been issued was untanned. Seen lots of new ones still in the bags that way.

CD