"Cased" Beretta Mailed Home

rcranch

Picked up this "cased" Beretta at an antique shop in Fredericksburg, TX. Sgt. James L. Henke had mailed it home to his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Alex Henke of Fredericksburg. It is difficult to read any post mark date, but some of the labels inside the original box were dated 7 Jan 44. I have not had time to research Sgt. Henke to see if he made it home from the war. I am sure he took this Beretta 7.65 automatic dated 1942 from a high ranking German Officer?? Of course he may have traded a box of cigarettes for it also?? Interesting that it took 42 cents to mail it home.

post-93122-0-71282900-1383693135.jpg

post-93122-0-17482100-1383693164.jpg

Awesome find ;) I found this info online Looks like he made it home and enjoyed quite a few years afterwards.

Birth: Apr. 9, 1921 Death: Sep. 30, 2004 trans.gif
Son of Alexander W and Ella Henke

Name: James L Henke
Birth Year: 1921
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: Texas
State of Residence: Texas
County or City: Gillespie
Enlistment Date: 25 Aug 1942
Enlistment State: Texas
Enlistment City: Fort Sam Houston
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life
Education: 4 years of high school
Civil Occupation: Farm hands, animal and livestock
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 68
Weight: 146
Source Information: National Archives and Records Administration. U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.

Family links:
Parents:
Alexander William Henke (1895 - 1960)

WORLD WAR II Burial:
Greenwood Cemetery
Fredericksburg
Gillespie County
Texas, USA
Created by: Paula J
Record added: Jun 25, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 54103406

Thanks for the comments and appreciate all the great info from Jim2. Next time I am in the Fredericksburg area I will locate his grave and pay my respects.

Does it have any markings on it like RE or RM?

or 4UT near the backstrap?

These weren't used by Germans except for the very late war produced versions (very rarely).. so he took it from an Italian soldier.

still a very nice find especially with the box!

too bad about the corrosion on it :(

-Brian

The only marking that I see other than on the slide, is what appears to be a "CM" inside a circle on the back left side of the frame. You can see it somewhat in the close-up photo of the pistol.

Thanks Brian, that is interesting. Perhaps the corrosion is from the sea water? The pitting is very heavy at the bottom of the grip and on the bottom of the magazine, almost like it was cause by acid or something. There was no rust marks on any of the packing material, so I have often wondered about this. I am not a gun guy, so I appreciate the help on the markings.

Tommy

APO 650 is the APO used by HQ 12th AAF, and was located in North Africa and Italy during WWII. in 1944 it was mainly in Italy.

Kurt

Very little known pistol. In the mass media the most popular was in the British TV series "The Saint" where Roger Moore used it in initial seasons,

I am sure he took this Beretta 7.65 automatic dated 1942 from a high ranking German Officer?

The M1935 Brevettata first of all was a pistol of the Regia Marina (Italian Navy) and Regia Aeronautica (Italian Air Forces).

American Heritage

APO 650 is the APO used by HQ 12th AAF, and was located in North Africa and Italy during WWII. in 1944 it was mainly in Italy.

Kurt

Great info Kurt! really nails the origins down on this nice pistol. Great find!!