OFFICER CAP DEVICES, OPINIONS PLEASE !

littlebuddy

i have just dug out these 3 cap devices , and was wondering if they are ww2 era or not ? also there are 2 made by " J R Gaunt" and one of these has a strangemark on the reverse of the eagles tail ??

the other is by Amcraft

post-106122-0-56729700-1383684809.jpg

This style was standard until mid-war, and was nicknamed "the chicken". Then a redesigned, much better detailed version came out, from a single manufacturer, as a private purchase, optional item. This may have been an NS Myer invention, but I cannot recall. The newer style eventually "took over", until by the Korean War era the chicken was unusual.

Carl...you already have my address. I suggest you send them to me and I will be very happy to submit them to a thorough examination for you! ;) (Nice pieces!)

This style was standard until mid-war, and was nicknamed "the chicken". Then a redesigned, much better detailed version came out, from a single manufacturer, as a private purchase, optional item. This may have been an NS Myer invention, but I cannot recall. The newer style eventually "took over", until by the Korean War era the chicken was unusual.

Im sorry to sound dumb here J ANDREWS which device is which ?? :wacko: or was you talking in a overall description ??

many thanks LB

Thanks Kat ! any ideas on them ???

I will look thru some of my reference books. I believe they are WWII vintage but am not 100% sure. The marking on the tail of that one is really interesting. You definitely have some keepers!

....Kat

I will look thru some of my reference books. I believe they are WWII vintage but am not 100% sure. The marking on the tail of that one is really interesting. You definitely have some keepers!

....Kat

Thank you Kat that's very kind !! I do appreciate it

Carl

Carl...you already have my address. I suggest you send them to me and I will be very happy to submit them to a thorough examination for you! ;) (Nice pieces!)

Is that a permanent examination Ian ?? :D

Pre WW2 officer cap badges tend to be smaller than the WW2 era badges of the same design. And during the war, the less pointed wing tip version (pretty much the same design as worn today) came out. I would say yours are late 30's to early 40's.

That's who made it. A Gaunt-hallmarked hat badge is a very nice find.

Kurt...I believe Carl is referring to the faint dragon's head stamped on the tail. I've handled lots of WW2 Gaunt insignia but have never seen this logo applied to any of them before!

Kurt...I believe Carl is referring to the faint dragon's head stamped on the tail. I've handled lots of WW2 Gaunt insignia but have never seen this logo applied to any of them before!

Ah. Didn't see that, Ian. (And I have no idea what it means.)

so no one can enlighten me on the strange mark on the reverse at the bottom of the eagles tail then ???

LB

Ian - did Gaunt have a connection to Wales? It looks like the dragon on your flag!

It does a bit, doesn't it! Not that I'm aware of. Anyway, it says "Made in England" rather than "Made in Wales". Never mind!

It does a bit, doesn't it! Not that I'm aware of. Anyway, it says "Made in England" rather than "Made in Wales". Never mind!

Perhaps they were Welshmen who used the English as their labor! (Or labour, I suppose)

Carl...for what it's worth, here's what I think. Most of Gaunt's US insignia output was the smaller stuff...collar brass, rank pins and silver wings etc. That "dragon's head" trademark/logo is relatively large and in that scale would not fit on any of the smaller items which we commonly encounter in the course of our collecting and so therefore, that is why it is so unfamiliar to us.