Silverfish!

kmc1945

Guys,

Just a friendly reminder to all you fellow Northerners/Northeasterners that the changing weather means that insects/other critters will be looking for cozy places to bed down for the winter. This includes silverfish, among other insects. Bottom line, if you are unfortunate (or fortunate, depending how you look at it) enough not to have enough rooms in your house for all of your collection and must store items in your basement or garage, WATCH OUT for these insects. Silverfish will eat clothing (well actually the stuff within the fibers themselves) and this will either leave staining or holes in cloth items. BE CAREFUL! There are many sprays that target these pests specifically or mothballs work as well (if you can stand your basement smelling like ole Granny's closet).

We are all aware of the damage that moths do but wanted to make sure everyone was aware of this threat as well

Best wishes to everyone,

Kyle

suwanneetrader

In FL silverfish are worse than moths? I know many of you hate the smell of moth balls (my wife included) But I use alot of them also the sticky glue sheets

for mice the glue attracts the silverfish. I put one in my attic for a mouse over the garage and in 6 months (I forgot about it) it had a mouse and hundreds of silverfish. I also bought some silverfish killer packets on the web but I think all they contain is Boric Acid. I've had many a 100+ year old document or book damaged as well as wool uniforms and covers. Good luck and remember to retreat every 3 months or so, it is easy to forget about your treasures in the closet or back of the bookshelf. Richard