Question on displaying Pre-WWI ribbons

usmedalman

I have had many of my early campaign medals on display in Riker mounts for 20 years or more. The cases are stored in a custom cabinet to prevent exposure to sunlight. Recently I have been rearranging the medals and have noticed that the ribbons on several of my pre-WWI campaign medals seem to have detorated a little over the years. In examining the glass, the inside seems fogged and the impression of several ribbons is clearly visible.

My question is: does anyone know if it is the glass being in contact with the ribbons that is causing the problem, the felt cloth I am using for display, or maybe both.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

I can say that I haven't heard of a problem, however the description of 'fogging' makes me think excessive humidity might be an issue?

RC

I really don't think humidity is the issue because it is only on the early pre-WWI medals, (1st Nic, Philippine Insurection, Navy CW, etc.) which I think may have real silk ribbons.

hmm.. I would say it could just be dye transfer based on your description.. I don't think old dyes stay in silk very well.

(a lot of older inks/dyes were not stable)

So yes, IMO it would probably be best to put them in a shadowbox type display where the ribbons would be set back from the glass so the pressure can't transfer any dye onto the glass. (which is my guess as to what is happening)

I am not an expert by any means... but I have done some research into conservation and I am an artist as well.

-Brian

My knowledge is limited but I would I would think anything pushed against glass may cause long term problems. Even in dry climates you get condensation, that is why when framing prints/art/photos/etc it is important to matte them away from contacting the glass. The glass also heats and cools differently than the ribbons, which may be transferring to the ribbons causing the problems. This is just my speculation based on what knowledge I have.

thanks for the good feedback, and the example about mounting prints etc. using a matte to avoid contact with glass make sense with these old ribbons too. I think I just got a fun project, changing the polly batting and felt in the Riker mounts to ensure every thing is acid-free and thin enough to keep the medals from touching the glass.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to share a great reference that I found on the Wehrmacht-awards forum in their conservation/safekeeping forum. Basically, poly batting to give a little padding and fleece to cover the batting and make the display look nicer (I used white). Both the fleece and the poly batting are inert products and archival safe. If you need to take up more space because the Riker mount you have is deeper than normal, use a product called Ethafoam.