Japanese sword taken on Okinawa.

tball101

Here's a photo of my Fiance' holding the sword I picked up from a vet over the weekend. He served in the 7th infantry division during the battle of Okinawa, where the sword was obtained.

The story he told with the sword--He said this sword gave him his closest encounter of death of the whole war. A Japanese soldier took a swing at him with it, he ducked, and the sword struck a rock next to him. (the sword has a small ding in the blade) He "took care of him" and took the sword as a war trophy. (not sure if the story is true, but he had no reason to embellish the story)

It was incredible speaking with him and hearing his stories. He has another sword that hopefully I can acquire in the future.

post-88540-0-17955300-1383596801.jpg

Nice!

If you take the handle off, you'll probably see a symbol for the 1st Tokyo arsenal. It kind of looks like the symbol for the Olympics.

You might want to think twice about letting your significant other getting comfortable handling such weaponry.

Mine is an expert shot with a 9mm.... I have kept that thought in the back of my mind over the years and it has helped with certain decision making. Of course, I was the one that taught her!

• 1 month later...

Man, ding in the blade or no, that thing is in beautiful shape. I have been looking only at swords that are in the area of my price range (slightly out of it, actually), and if it explains my finances, they're pretty rough to say the least. I'll unfortunately have to dodge the ebay bullet whenever I get mine, I am afraid.

It's an amazing piece and one of the highlights in my collection. I really got lucky purchasing it straight from the vet. He's got an officers sword that had the wooden surrender tags as well that I I'll hopefully purchase after the holidays.

Very nice sword! Even better since you acquired it directly from the veteran!

Mike

Here's a photo of the vet with the sword before he sold it to me

post-88540-0-80715900-1386814473.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

If that doesn't make you proud to be an American ... NOTHING will.

Great pic - very nice looking sword and an awesome photo of the vet holding it.

Sums it up for me!! :)

That truly is a great find! I would like you to get a letter hand written by the Vet. Keep it with the sword for history's sake! Think if the history were written with Civil War swords. Priceless! the history of where & how they were obtained! Just my opinion! What a cool story ! Nice piece of history! thanks for sharing! David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Great sword you have there and to buy it staight from the man who claimed it in battle is something else, he is a very brave man,

you have a good collection of militaria there as i can see i also collect the same type of items you have. I have a Japanese flag from Okinowa in my war room that came form a vet in the States, it is on my war room wall thanks for showing your sword.

Dave.