Modern helmet collectors?

USAFpj

Wow Letsgo82nd you do have a fine collection. You have some very intersting mich/ach helmets!

Thanks very much. Finding nice untouched examples has been getting progressively harder.

Jeremy

While I do not specifically collect helmets, I have a good collection of WWII and prior sets. I do not seek modern militaria much, but will sometimes pick it up. I found a nice group to a USMC PH/BS recipient earlier this year, in the lot it included his two combat used helmets from Fallujah. So I guess I made an exception...

Within the past 5 or 6 years, I have noticed quite an "up-tick" in people collecting modern militaria with prices slowly rising with them. I have noticed that patched sets, USMC sets, FS sets, and airborne sets seem to bring a good amount....with combat used ones bringing a premium.

Philip

juodonnell2012

I was only issued a standard ach with cover. I had to buy the cat eyes and had my info added to them. I also bought an armored nape pad a set of "bunny ears" and the rhino mount for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeremy, that homepage of yours is just outstanding! Some of the finest painted lids that I have seen here.

Thanks all for showing :)

Regards

Martin

The difference between collecting modern items such as comics and US helmets, is the supply. Any helmet on the market was paid for by the soldier when he/she did not turn it in. The government does not give them to you when you get out, even the old PASGT because they then sell this equipment to other countries. So the supply of original pieces is always going to be low comparable to say a comic book that is produced in hoards for the public. Now the SF supply system may be different, as I do not have experience with that side of the Army.

Much like Vietnam, the current war has affected a more than decade of people and been very televised. I predict in 40 years you will see the interest in GWOT grow a lot from our kids and grandkids, much like we are collecting things related to our father's, grandfather's, ect... Currently, I think the market is being driven by collectors moving into the GWOT stuff and collectors that see a long term investment. I could see a documented patched or painted helmet from a GWOT soldier doubling or more in value in 20years, try to find an investment account that will do that.

• 2 months later...

I've got a few lids, some painted, some not. Lots of good, solid helmets are being over looked and you can find them if you look. As for uniforms, I don't want to touch ACU unless its vet direct *or* its the new embroidered stuff. There are a few exceptions to this rule (see: ACU set for $15, all patched and shipped for $20 total. This is someone who has no idea what they have or just want it out of their basement). Multicam uniforms are about the same as ACU with a very few exceptions that I will ALWAYS pick up if I see them.

Right now people are going "Oh well modern isn't collectible" and I say, let them think that. Every WWII collector I've ever met has said "I wish i were around after WWII for all the surplus"....

NGCoastArtillery41

I think with downsizing and such you will probably see an increase in the cost of modern items, which may seem counter intuitive. But, as it goes with more soldiers getting out of the army they are, as was pointed out earlier, going to have to turn in their equipment and as many of the current soldiers here can attest to, sometimes its a lot cheaper to pick an item up on eBay than it is to let the Army charge you for it. I just picked up an ACH for that reason (never ever ever let anyone ever barrow your gear without a hand receipt lol)

I think with downsizing and such you will probably see an increase in the cost of modern items, which may seem counter intuitive. But, as it goes with more soldiers getting out of the army they are, as was pointed out earlier, going to have to turn in their equipment and as many of the current soldiers here can attest to, sometimes its a lot cheaper to pick an item up on eBay than it is to let the Army charge you for it. I just picked up an ACH for that reason (never ever ever let anyone ever barrow your gear without a hand receipt lol)

I could pay the Government $350+ to keep my helmet, or I could go to the pawn shop and buy 'mine' for $125 to turn in. It was an easy choice :D

I'm going to keep my ACH and get one off eBay to replace it, like RedLegGI said. Anything Army issued that you lose or keep will be expensive.

• 2 years later...

post-164442-0-72802600-1482800915_thumb.jpg

These are a few of my modern Special Operations helmets. The Gentex on the left is a Freefall version. The one in the center spent time in Afghanistan, and the one on the far right was in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have a few modern helmets that I kept that came in the shop from the vets that wore them, so I always try to get a name and bit of the story to keep with them. I have a couple from my ex-delta friend, including a halo (and his chute) like the one shown above, but my favorite ones that he wore I had to sell back to him.

Must have been hard to let it go, but that's awesome you sold it back him. It probably meant quite a lot to get it back. I have two more that I will post later tonight.

I'm surprised more people don't collect the Freefall Gentex. There was one on EBay for almost 6 months and it was priced for approximately what a new one costs. I think the guy just took it down. They are extremely rare and pretty cool IMO.

2nd Photo

The one on the right is a recon Marine's, correct? I have a 11th MEU Force Reconnaissance helmet that is nearly identical to yours with the exception the numbers are between the ear flap and the mount. That little details was literally the only thing that identified it to that unit as the others tend to have their numbering where yours is located.

Red

It is a Marine Recon helmet (1st Recon Bn) used in Iraq and then it was also used in Afghanistan (2007-2009) with a MARSOC Team. The guy made the transition from Recon to MARSOC shortly after it was established. Good eye.

This is my most modern helmet (Ops-Core Maitime).

Looks good. I don't have any of the Opscore helmets yet but hopefully that will change in 2017! :D

stealthytyler

I've got a PASGT helmet and ACU pants from an OEF soldier. I also have a video of him getting shot at while wearing this helmet and pants. No better way of telling a story of these items than a video of them in combat! It's my only modern helmet besides my own. Not huge into modern helmets but I'm sure I will regret this statement in 10-20 years from now!

I agree. Every veteran I run into says the same thing. They throw away or sell their gear shortly after getting out and then regret it. Most of the guys I talk to say that they end up buying it back from an army navy store. Unfortunately it isn't the one they used. I'm going to try to avoid that and hold onto some of the things I've used.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I've got a PASGT helmet and ACU pants from an OEF soldier. I also have a video of him getting shot at while wearing this helmet and pants. No better way of telling a story of these items than a video of them in combat! It's my only modern helmet besides my own. Not huge into modern helmets but I'm sure I will regret this statement in 10-20 years from now!

Interesting, very narrow circumstances that could lead to ACU and PASGT at the same time, National Guard?

stealthytyler

Interesting, very narrow circumstances that could lead to ACU and PASGT at the same time, National Guard?

Yeah, national guard. He had an ACH but someone jacked it from him. The PASGT was temp but saw some action.