Ebay wants me to sell more gun parts - really!

Bob Hudson

Ebay calls every so often, usually to tell about some new seller program.

Today though, was a little different: they wanted to let me know that they are seeing an increased demand for hunting items including firearms parts and they've noticed I've sold such things in the past and that this would be a good time to list any similar items I might have to sell, including - the middle-aged-sounding Ebay lady said - "en bloc clips."

:)

I should have asked her to speak slowly so I could write down the list of gun parts Ebay thinks I should be selling, but when she said "en bloc clip" I about fell out of my chair.

Forgive my ignorance... what on earth is an "en bloc clip"?

I'l bet the ebay lady had the same question...

enbloc.jpg

Got the same call Myself last week so I listed an original Colt 1908 25cal magazine (6rd cap.) and guess what happened, it got pulled as a violation. Their policy is a magazine with 10 rds or less is ok. Those A@@ clowns in India told Me that it violated the assault weapons parts ban. Go figure

EBay is the biggest single topic on the forum these days.

If it isn't fakes, it's shipping, or fees, or rude sellers. EBay should have its own forum! :)

EBay is the biggest single topic on the forum these days.

If it isn't fakes, it's shipping, or fees, or rude sellers. EBay should have its own forum! :)

They do! people bitch and eBay minions tell them all is good! don't worry LOL!!!

between the ebay fees and the pay pal fees its a rip off! I sold a helmet and took a healthy hit on my earnings. better to sell at a show or on forum.

The problem is most of us can't sell at shows, or realistically not more than a couple times a year and shows demand a big time investment, plus often have fees. Selling on the forum is very iffy: it's "free" but compared to ebay we have a very tiny buyer base and it shows in the small percentage of listings that actually result in buyers.

I'd prefer to not to pay ebay/paypal 10-15% but there is no reliable alternative to that.

Meanwhile, I am still amazed that they called to suggest I sell more gun parts, considering the politics of it all. Here's what I sold on ebay since last spring, all of it estate sale finds. Even with the fees I did quite well on these.

parts.jpg

I find more good stuff on Ebay and make more money off of it than I do hitting Antique malls and estate sales. Before Ebay, I only found 1 German POW dogtag to an American in 20 years. In the 15 years I have been on Ebay I have found close to 30. Probably 1/2 of my medal collection and 75% of my POW collection has come from Ebay.

I dont love Ebay, but I recognze they do provide a very good venue for me to find what I am looking for. My collection would be no where as extensive if it wasnt for Ebay.

Ebay is all what you make of it. Love it or hate it, it has made it easier to find rare material.

And yes.... I sell on there too.

Kurt