S14-075 Paratroop First Aid pouch

GICOP

It will eventually make it's way to the reference section. It needs to run it's course for comments first. I am actively working on updating the reference sections but it is a slow process.

This is an excellent thread, very informative.

I recently was fortunate enough to come across two of these very rare packs. By definition it is rare to have something rare, and rarer yet to have two of them.

I figure the best contribution I could make to this thread would be to compare them, side by side.

The two S14 Parachutist Individual Medical Pouch packs I currently have are of the same variation as GICOP's.

post-5673-1237749988.jpg

shade7 said:
This is an excellent thread, very informative.

I recently was fortunate enough to come across two of these very rare packs. By definition it is rare to have something rare, and rarer yet to have two of them.

I figure the best contribution I could make to this thread would be to compare them, side by side.

The two S14-075 Parachutist Individual Medical Pouch packs I currently have are of the same variation as GICOP's.

Clearly one pack has the USN MD POCKET CASE attached (reference that as PACK RIGHT), and one does not (PACK LEFT)..... The case is interesting in that it's construction is IDENTICAL to that of the pack. Same canvas, same thread. Clearly made at the same time, and by the same person.

NOTE: the markings are stenciled and not stamped. No mfg marks.

NOTE: Waxed cardboard tube in pocket #2

post-5673-1237750495.jpg

post-5673-1237750530.jpg

Clearly one pack has the USN MD POCKET CASE attached (reference that as PACK RIGHT), and one does not (PACK LEFT)..... The case is interesting in that it's construction is IDENTICAL to that of the pack. Same canvas, same thread. Clearly made at the same time, and by the same person.

NOTE: the markings are stenciled and not stamped. No mfg marks.

NOTE: Waxed cardboard tube

Detail of POCKET CASE and POUCH canvas and thread..... color is accurate.

post-5673-1237751029.jpg

Images do not appear to be loading.

Detail of POCKET CASE and POUCH canvas and thread..... color is accurate.

I am sucker for hardware detail. I don't know the maker of these buckles, but you find the ANCHOR stamp on a lot period buckle closures. Snap backs are Rau Fasteners Co provenance R.I.

NOTE: Faint penciled initial "H" on PACK LEFT inner tie down. Rigger mark ?

post-5673-1237751642.jpg

post-5673-1237751738.jpg

I am sucker for hardware detail. I don't know the maker of these buckles, but you find the ANCHOR stamp on a lot period buckle closures. Snap backs are Rau Fasteners Co provenance R.I.

NOTE: Faint penciled initial "H" on PACK LEFT inner tie down. Rigger mark ?

Moving to the outside of the packs.

Not much obvious difference, yet PACK RIGHT has a different penciled initial under the cover, either a "J" or perhaps an "L", another rigger perhaps?

post-5673-1237752185.jpg

post-5673-1237752229.jpg

Moving to the outside of the packs.

Not much obvious difference, yet PACK RIGHT has a different penciled initial under the cover, either a "J" or perhaps an "L", another rigger perhaps?

Turning the packs over, I found a glaring irregularity... I don't know if this would have caused this pack to fail and inspection or not.

The far right harness closure on PACK RIGHT has been stitched backward, or inside out.

post-5673-1237752657.jpg

post-5673-1237752690.jpg

Turning the packs over, I found a glaring irregularity... I don't if this would have caused this pack to fail and inspection or not.

The far right harness closure on PACK RIGHT has been stitched backward, or inside out.

And finally, going back inside, I make a most interesting discovery.

It is subtle, but it is definitely there.

After double checking GICOP's contents list, and not finding it mentioned I came to the conclusion that this would tend to lend a lot of credence to the notion that individual Corpsman would outfit their packs has they best saw fit.

NOTE: POCKET 11, PACK LEFT.....

post-5673-1237753230.jpg

post-5673-1237753278.jpg

And finally, going back inside, I make a most interesting discovery.

It is subtle, but it is definitely there.

After double checking GICOP's contents list, and not finding it mentioned I came to the conclusion that this would tend to lend a lot of credence to the notion that individual Corpsman would outfit their packs has they best saw fit.

NOTE: POCKET 11, PACK LEFT.....

Excellent pictures shade7 thank you for posting them. thumbsup.gif

Very interesting item you found in pocket 11 :)

Cheers

Martyn

Excellent pictures shade7 thank you for posting them. thumbsup.gif

Very interesting item you found in pocket 11 :)

Cheers

Martyn

I was thinking about that frog this morning,and wondering what it was doing in that pack. It is one of those old pressed metal toys with the spring loaded mechanism attached to it's underside. You stick the mouse trap like spring hinge into a glob of black goo underneath it's head, which holds the trigger down briefly, then release it, causing the spring to expand forcefully......

PACK RIGHT, has the mismatched sewing job, and appears to be in more or less mint and unissued condition. It probably did fail an inspection, and was never used.

PACK LEFT (with the frog), has obvious wear to some of the buckle closures and shows considerable stress on one of the D ring harnesses, in addition to missing the pocket case and the cardboard tube. It was very likely used.

And who would have used it ?

A JUMPER IN A FROG SUIT !

A bet that little guy was a good luck charm....

post-5673-1237837811.jpg

I was thinking about that frog this morning,and wondering what it was doing in that pack. It is one of those old pressed metal toys with the spring loaded mechanism attached to it's underside. You stick the mouse trap like spring hinge into a glob of black goo underneath it's head, which holds the trigger down briefly, then release it, causing the spring to expand forcefully......

PACK RIGHT, has the mismatched sewing job, and appears to be in more or less mint and unissued condition. It probably did fail an inspection, and was never used.

PACK LEFT (with the frog), has obvious wear to some of the buckle closures and shows considerable stress on one of the D ring harnesses, in addition to missing the pocket case and the cardboard tube. It was very likely used.

And who would have used it ?

A JUMPER IN A FROG SUIT !

A bet that little guy was a good luck charm....

When I first saw the frog I thought of the “cricket” used by US Airborne forces in Normandy.

I like the idea of the good luck charm.

Cheers

Martyn

• 1 month later...
Corpsmancollector

I have recently added an S14-075 to my collection:

post-5339-1241296808.jpg

Thanks go to Jason!

It's going to be a long drawn out process to fill out the pack, but it's an exciting endeavor. I've got a few items in my collection already that should fit right in according to the list of contents (thanks Martyn!). Jason suggested photographing the process from receipt to completion and it sounded like a great idea. So, with the permission of GICOP and the others on the thread I'll try and post detailed accounts of how I'm getting on which should hopefully serve as a good reference for others :)

Better and more detailed pics to follow...

I have recently added an S14 to my collection:

post-5339-1241296808.jpg

Thanks go to Jason!

Its going to be a long drawn out process to fill out the pack, but it's an exciting endeavor. I've got a few items in my collection already that should fit right in according to the list of contents (thanks Martyn!). Jason suggested photographing the process from receipt to completion and it sounded like a great idea. So, with the permission of GICOP and the others on the thread I'll try and post detailed accounts of how I'm getting on which should hopefully serve as a good reference for others :)

Better and more detailed pics to follow...

I'm looking forward to the pictures

Cheers

Martyn

Sgt. Boghots

Fabulous postings, all !! - A pleasure to see.

Best regards to all posters and contributors,

Paul

Corpsmancollector
Fabulous postings, all !! - A pleasure to see.

Best regards to all posters and contributors,

Paul

Thanks Sgt!

Will

• 6 months later...
Corpsmancollector

Here are some more up-to-date pictures of my S14-075. I'm slowing getting there with the contents, the bottom half is almost filled and I'm still working on the top half:

post-5339-1258659638.jpg

post-5339-1258659653.jpg

Here is my S-14, complete except for the morphine boxes. Just for S & G's I totalled up the value of the sum of the parts, using ebay selling prices as a standard. The total was over $2,000.

The band-aid box is marked "Patent Pending" and it was awarded it's patent in 1949 so it may be period accurate. The pocket knife is an old "Kabar". The scissors from the pocket kit are strung with a GI shoe string to prevent it's loss (saw this in a photograph). Everything that has a date is dated 1943 or earlier so I think I have stocked it accurately.

post-4556-1259111127.jpg

• 1 month later...
DocRick said:
Finally found one of the rubber tourniquets to add to my S14-075. Now, to find one more........................

Excellent Doc :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

That is great. Where did you ever find that?

This was one of those lucky ebay finds............just posted and "BUY IT NOW" option, so I couldn't pass it up. Only $5.00 U.S. (plus S&H of course). Though the seller is a class act militaria seller, I don't think he realized how rare these are. First I've ever seen. I would suppose even if they made it home post-war, they probably got thrown away or used for something else.

Speaking of something else, GICOP you said the tubing was used in electrical work? Perhaps waterproofing electric wires in vehicles for amphibious landings??? Kind of wondering as I have never seen this stuff before. Even in pre-WWII houses in the states, I've not encountered anything like this tubing.

This was one of those lucky ebay finds............just posted and "BUY IT NOW" option, so I couldn't pass it up. Only $5.00 U.S. (plus S&H of course). Though the seller is a class act militaria seller, I don't think he realized how rare these are. First I've ever seen. I would suppose even if they made it home post-war, they probably got thrown away or used for something else.

Speaking of something else, GICOP you said the tubing was used in electrical work? Perhaps waterproofing electric wires in vehicles for amphibious landings??? Kind of wondering as I have never seen this stuff before. Even in pre-WWII houses in the states, I've not encountered anything like this tubing.

Hi Doc

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of

http://order.waytekwire.com/products2/M37/.../Heat%20Shrink/

Cheers

Martyn

Okay, it arrived today, and unfortunately, it wasn't quite what I thought it was, but still okay. It's a length of round tubing, but only about 5 inches long by 1 inch across, folded up. Doesn't fit in the elastic loops. Still, an okay and legitmate piece of kit I can use somewhere else.

The search continues........................................ ;)

Okay, it arrived today, and unfortunately, it wasn't quite what I thought it was, but still okay. It's a length of round tubing, but only about 5 inches long by 1 inch across, folded up. Doesn't fit in the elastic loops. Still, an okay and legitmate piece of kit I can use somewhere else.

The search continues........................................ ;)

DocRick,

I couldn't find the reference to the diameter of the tubing you were expecting. But it sticks in my mind that there was a short piece of tubing in some kits for use in tracheostomys.

Maybe ??

Best regards,

Paul

craig_pickrall
Hi Doc

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of

http://order.waytekwire.com/products2/M37/.../Heat%20Shrink/

Cheers

Martyn

The company I retired from used some of this heat shrink tubing. Where we used it was to keep wire bundles together to pass through an opening in a piece of equipmet. You thread the wires thru the tube and then apply heat to shrink it tightly around the wires. This isn't the same type of tubing you would find under the hood / bonnet of a car. This stuff is thin wall and very flexible.

As far as use in the corpsman bag it would probably work okay to fill the slot but it is not like the real thing.

You can probably find it in the electrical department of a Lowes / Home Depot type building supply store. If not there, then a decent industrial electrical supply store will have it.