S14-075 Paratroop First Aid pouch

GICOP

Thanx. Wish I had known this earlier. I have a small bag of post WWII stuff that I bought mistakenly. Maybe a donation to my Big Bro, a VN Corpsman.

Corpsmancollector

WOW.

Thanks for the pics guys, wonderful kits. Can I ask, were these items as hard to find as I am assuming here?!

Ive never seen an S-14 kit for sale and would love one! Haha (Who would'nt, right?)

Semper Fi

Corpsmancollector said:
WOW.

Thanks for the pics guys, wonderful kits. Can I ask, were these items as hard to find as I am assuming here?!

Ive never seen an S-14-075 kit for sale and would love one! Haha (Who wouldn't, right?)

Semper Fi

Hi Corpsmancollector

Glad you like the pictures

Very hard to find, waited 4 years but got one in the end. thumbsup.gif

Cheers

My S14-075 was actually my first ebay purchase about 10 years ago. The seller obviously didn't know what he had and listed it under First Aid Kit, not Corpsman or Medic. I got it for, I'm embarrassed to say, 26 bucks (US). I recently saw the posting here and began to fill it with period items, using this as a reference. I'm about halfway finished, but the rest of the items are going to be the hardest to find, i.e. morphine boxes, surgical kit, sulfa boxes. From what I've learned from the wonderful collectors on this site, the kits are not standard like the army medic bags, even some "civilian" medical items find their way here. I remember my Corpsman days, we had to beg, borrow, steal and even private purchase some of our items, and there was not even a world war going on then.

I've only seen one other S14-075 for sale for 100.00 (US) on a military surplus site and the first one listed in this posting. I hope to make mine as good as his. Someday, if the wife allows, I will construct a mannequin with herringbone utilities, complete belt kit, helmet, the Japanese rifle my Dad brought home and of course, the S14-075.

DocRick said:
My S14-075 was actually my first ebay purchase about 10 years ago. The seller obviously didn't know what he had and listed it under First Aid Kit, not Corpsman or Medic. I got it for, I'm embarrassed to say, 26 bucks (US). I recently saw the posting here and began to fill it with period items, using this as a reference. I'm about halfway finished, but the rest of the items are going to be the hardest to find, i.e. morphine boxes, surgical kit, sulfa boxes. From what I've learned from the wonderful collectors on this site, the kits are not standard like the army medic bags, even some "civilian" medical items find their way here. I remember my Corpsman days, we had to beg, borrow, steal and even private purchase some of our items, and there was not even a world war going on then.

I've only seen one other S14-075 for sale for 100.00 (US) on a military surplus site and the first one listed in this posting. I hope to make mine as good as his. Someday, if the wife allows, I will construct a mannequin with herringbone utilities, complete belt kit, helmet, the Japanese rifle my Dad brought home and of course, the S14-075.

Hi DocRick

Try this link for morphine boxes. They are excellent and Ben, who produces them, is a forum member Med-dept thumbsup.gif

http://www.med-dept.com/forSale.php

My S14-075 cost a bit more than $26, in fact a lot more but who's counting, I had been after one for ages and didn't want this one to slip through my fingers. ;)

I'm trying to convince my wife that our home would benefit from a mannequin but I haven't quite got there yet :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Sometimes you get lucky and find something that the seller doesn't know what he has. Just like sometimes they think something they have is more valuable than it is, i.e. the $80.00 M-2 Jungle first aid kit. I've seen a lot of them come and go, bad shape, prestine shape, full and empty, but never for that much. When I picked up my S14-075, I didn't even know what it was, just thought it was cool. Had the price gone up much more, I never would have bought it, not knowing it's true value.

So my S14-075 is slowly filling up thanks to GICOP and others giving me ideas and information. I found some of that rubber strips in a vehicle first aid kit to fill the two sets of loops on the right side. Don't know if it is accurate, but hey, why not? Early war time supplies were short and you did what you had to do. So far I have 2 large and 4 small battle dressings, 2 tourniquets, 1 iodine swab box, 1 pack of casualty tags, 1 triangular bandage, 1 box of ammonia ampules, 2 period pencils, 1 bandage scissors, 3 white cross rolls of gauze, 3 Lily White Sales co 3 inch gauzes, 2 bottles of water tablets, 2 small bottles of mercurochrome,(Sp?) 1 pack of safety pins, 2 plain gauze dyed in boxes. Pretty sure everything is WWII vintage. Got a few more items on the way and in bidding process, so I figure I'm about halfway or less, considering the challenge of finding the stuff I don't have yet. Well, I'm young or at least not too old yet, so I have time and the searching is usually more exciting than the finding. Have a big gun show to go to this Saturday. Usually lots of militaria for sale, just gotta look hard for the "holy grail". (Which by the way, Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is hand's down the funniest movie ever made, IMHO)

Thanks for the info and pics guy, just fantastic. Good luck on getting the mannequin Martyn!

Semper Fi

Will

Cheers Will ;)

Martyn

DocRick said:
Sometimes you get lucky and find something that the seller doesn't know what he has. Just like sometimes they think something they have is more valuable than it is, i.e. the $80.00 M-2 Jungle first aid kit. I've seen a lot of them come and go, bad shape, pristine shape, full and empty, but never for that much. When I picked up my S14-075, I didn't even know what it was, just thought it was cool. Had the price gone up much more, I never would have bought it, not knowing it's true value.

So my S14-075 is slowly filling up thanks to GICOP and others giving me ideas and information. I found some of that rubber strips in a vehicle first aid kit to fill the two sets of loops on the right side. Don't know if it is accurate, but hey, why not? Early war time supplies were short and you did what you had to do. So far I have 2 large and 4 small battle dressings, 2 tourniquets, 1 iodine swab box, 1 pack of casualty tags, 1 triangular bandage, 1 box of ammonia ampules, 2 period pencils, 1 bandage scissors, 3 white cross rolls of gauze, 3 Lily White Sales co 3 inch gauzes, 2 bottles of water tablets, 2 small bottles of mercurochrome,(Sp?) 1 pack of safety pins, 2 plain gauze dyed in boxes. Pretty sure everything is WWII vintage. Got a few more items on the way and in bidding process, so I figure I'm about halfway or less, considering the challenge of finding the stuff I don't have yet. Well, I'm young or at least not too old yet, so I have time and the searching is usually more exciting than the finding. Have a big gun show to go to this Saturday. Usually lots of militaria for sale, just gotta look hard for the "holy grail". (Which by the way, Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is hand's down the funniest movie ever made, IMHO)

Sounds like you are well on the way, good luck Saturday thumbsup.gif

Martyn

Back to stock numbers and age. I picked up a "Dressing, First Aid, Medium, Stock No. NS 2-CD V-31, Surgical Dressings Inc, West New York, N.J. at a gun show for 50 cents. Typical cardboard box, no date, perforated top to open. Any idea of it's era? Haven't seen anything like this before.

Only other pickups a Marsailles roll of gauze, an aussie shell dressing and a 1945 canteen and cover. Spent about 10 bucks total.

So, just out of curiosity, how many of these S14-075's are known to be in existence, other than GICOP's and Doc Rick's? Anyone else have one or knows someone who has one or knows someone who knows someone who has one??

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my S14-075, 90% completed, only needing the surgical set and some morphine boxes. Maybe a few other odds and ends.

post-4556-1236534236.jpg

Here is my S14, 90% completed, only needing the surgical set and some morphine boxes. Maybe a few other odds and ends.

Very nice DocRick thumbsup.gif

Thank you for posting the picture

Martyn

Thanks to you, Martyn, for your guidance. Though common sense should have prevailed and I could have figured this out myself (Common sense seems to be an uncommon virtue !!), I used the information provided by you and others to fill it as realistically as I could. Now for the search for the surgical pouch......................

craig_pickrall

DocRick you got that put together pretty quick. That is no easy task. Congratulations! It is looking good.

I have had good luck finding those surgical kits at larger antique malls. I have no idea of current prices but the last one I bought was about 3 years ago for about $35. You might have to buy 2 or even 3 kits before you get all of the parts.

Corpsmancollector

DocRick, the pouch is looking great. Congratulations on putting it together! Surgical pouches aren't too hard to find, you should to alrite :)

Will

Just found one of these at a military surplus site http://www.hayesotoupalik.com/ Only $900.00. Go to the site and click on U.S. Navy items.

WOW

Hi Doc

I would love to see it but I can't connect to the site, all I get is "link is broken"

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Doc

I would love to see it but I can't connect to the site, all I get is "link is broken"

Cheers

Martyn

Thanks Doc, link works OK now

Looks like a very nice bit of kit. thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Martyn

This is a great source of information. May I suggest that one of the Mods move it to the Reference section?

Thank you.

craig_pickrall

It will eventually make it's way to the reference section. It needs to run it's course for comments first. I am actively working on updating the reference sections but it is a slow process.