Tucker "Tiger" or combat car

bob lamoreaux

bob lamoreaux

In doing research for my book focusing on American Armament Corporation, I discovered that the Tucker "Tiger" -- only one produced -- underwent three different configurations. I am not sure about the sequence of these configurations, but for what it is worth, I'll spell out my findings and opinion (and reason for that opinion).

It appears that the first and second versions was painted in camouflage colors and had large "whitewall" tires. They were armed with two cal. .30 Browning machine guns firing from inside the "hull", both forward facing (in a flexible mount) on either side of the front of the vehicle. The first version did not have a turret. The second version added a domed (glass or plexiglass?) turret mounting an American Armament Corp. modified Model M 37-mm automatic cannon. It was this version that was "tested" at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD on or about November 29, 1938. The third configuration was painted in solid olive drab or Army brown (not sure of the correct term for the color) and mounted two cal. .50s in an open powered turret. The photos (film) of this version shows that the hull mounted cal. .30s were removed from the vehicle. The two films, by the way, can be found on YouTube.

I believe that the solid colored Tucker was the last version as the twin cal. .50s appear to be the same model used on PT boats (M-3s? -- see my post on the firearms and ordnance forum). This probably reflects that the turret and guns were placed on the vehicle at the time Tucker associated with Andrew Jackson Higgins in New Orleans. It also appears that the tires were narrower than those on the camouflage painted Tucker Tiger, though this may be an inaccurate observation on my part.

Since the Tucker Tiger has disappeared, probably scrapped, and only one was produced, this post is only of passing interest as it certainly will not be of benefit to the militaria collector.

Here is a pic. Looks like they fitted a ball turret on it. 114 MPH! I haven't owned a car in the past 20 years that could do 114 mph. LOL

post-97321-0-42763100-1383585548.jpg

bob lamoreaux

Got an answer on the twin-mounted cal. .50s mounted on the Tucker (see the firearms & ordnance forum) and it would appear that the solid colored Tucker was armed with M2 Turret Type machine guns. These were modified M2 aircraft guns, having a heavier barrel. The Turret Type gun was used on PT boats and was adopted in September, 1942. That suggests that the Tucker vehicle was still around in (or after) 1942 and was probably at the Higgins plant in New Orleans. The film of this particular configuration of the Tucker Tiger may have been taken at one of the Army facilities in Louisiana. Ain't trivia wonderful?

Thanks to all who viewed and responded to this post as well as to the firearms & ordnance forum post. Hope this stuff proves interesting and "valuable" to some of you! BTW, the Tucker was NOT tested at Aberdeen Proving Ground with a view to adoption. At that time, the Army (and presumably the Navy) did "courtesy" testing of products for manufacturers to aid them in their development efforts.