14th Infantry Regiment DUI

erichjr

post-514-0-86091900-1383516327.jpgPicked up this dui to the 14th infantry regiment, Its marked on the back

J.R. Gaunt New York Made in England.

Never seen one like this, did J R Gaunt have a office in New York?

Erich

I agree...very nice! Yes, Gaunt did actually have an NY outlet.

Just for clarification Ian, seeing that we've seen more than a few with this hallmark, just where was this DI, and those similarly hallmarked Gaunt pieces made? It says J.R. Gaunt New York but also Made in England. So what does this really mean, made over in England and sent to America, where they were distubuted out of a office that Gaunt had in New York? I mean if it was made in New York by Gaunt, wouldn't the hallmark read J.R. Gaunt England Made in USA or Made in New York?

Just think in terms of these modern "parfumiers" who label their products "London, Paris, New York"....probably actually made in China!? Check out the Luxenberg brand officers' visor in another current thread....marked "Madison Ave., NYC....Made in England"! Go figure! :o

Just think in terms of these modern "parfumiers" who label their products "London, Paris, New York"....probably actually made in China!? Check out the Luxenberg brand officers' visor in another current thread....marked "Madison Ave., NYC....Made in England"! Go figure! :o

That's about as clear as mud :lol: Not sure though where New York fits in with all of this, I guess Gaunt had a NYC distribution outlet/office for their Made in England insignia.

Your reply Ian reminds me of this song from 1979 :lol:

New York....London.....Paris......Munich.....Everyboby Talk About Pop Muzik

Talk about (Pop) Pop Muzik

(Pop pop) Pop muzik

(Pop pop) Pop muzik

That's about as clear as mud :lol: Not sure though where New York fits in with all of this, I guess Gaunt had a NYC distribution outlet/office for their Made in England insignia.

Your reply Ian reminds me of this song from 1979 :lol:

New York....London.....Paris......Munich.....Everyboby Talk About Pop Muzik

(Pop pop) Pop muzik

(Pop pop) Pop muzik

"Shooby-dooby do-wap etc" ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, made in England to sell to US Soldiers in the US. Likely pre-WWII in this case. Gaunt was a HUGE maker of military insignia. One of the large insignia makers for British military forces, they made some US insignia before, during, and after WWII.

I would say its made in England for us soldiers, I wonder if any us company's made insignia for the British military?