Luftwaffe Helmet & Shipping Box (Cased Helmet)

GeneralLucas

I was at a flea market and turned the corner and saw thei Luftwaffe helmet on a table for sale by a woman selling antiques. At first glance at a distance I thought it was a repro because the paint and decal looked too new. I went over and purchased it from her because it was a good one but the condition was so good I was unsure at a distance of 50 feet. After I bought it, I started to walk off and she said: Don't you want the box it came in? I call it a cased helmet. The shipping box was sent home by T-5 Lloyd E. Thomas, 480th ORD Tire Repair Comany...with an APO number which is hard to read, New York. He addressed the helmet to Mrs. Lloyd E. Thomas, Cameron, Missouri. The postage stamps are missing. This unit may have been in Italy. The helmet is a 66 size shell missing the chin strap and looks almost unworn, perhaps a pilot or senior offier owned it or perhaps unissued. He put the mailing address on three side of the box.

post-1658-0-46669000-1383507374.jpg

Very nice helmet!

I had one in the same condition years ago I got right from the vet. You could see were it had been stacked in a pile and in fact had a penciled number on the helmet like it was counted in an inventory of a LW depot.