What gear did he wear? USN Pilot James Stockdale

Tiger

Hi there!

I'm planning to build a Navy pilot dummy dressed like Stockdale in the famous photo. As stated, I'm new in this branch of collection and mi knowledge is very limited.

I'm looking for the names of its equipment (torso, G-gear and so on) to check the web and auctions!

Also, I would know the type and name of the flight helmet and mask could be right for it!

Many thanks in advance to those who can help me!

Tiger

post-132624-0-72945300-1383472898.jpg

Hi,

On this 1965 picture (three weeks before he was shot down on 9 september) James Stockdale is wearing a Z3 g suit, a MA2 modified Torso Harness Integrated with RJE (with extra pockets for survival gears because I’m not sure he was wearing a SV1 survival over his harness), a Mk3C life preserver, Brown leather USN flight boots.

In 1965, the helmet can be an APH5 or an APH6 with A13A Oxygen mask.

Best, Croc

Many thanks to you all, buddies!!! I have really appreciate your input!

Now I'll start to found out those parts! In the while I have see this one.. It's complete? Would be correct?

post-132624-0-60789300-1383522332.jpg

northcoastaero

Notes on flight gear:

-Revolver is most likely a Smith & Wesson Victory Model with 4in. barrel in a tan leather shoulder holster with a narrow strap.

-Flight gloves could be the B-3A in tan leather or possibly gray leather.

-MK-3C life preserver most likely with yellow bladders.

-Flight boots brown leather with steel toe and smooth soles with light pattern. Some of these boots were modified with

Vibram lug soles.

-Mark 2A gray plastic pilots kneeboard, not black painted aluminum.

-A-4E Skyhawk pilots pocket checklist with manila covers, not blue plastic covers.

-Ejection seat could be the ESCAPAC 1 or ESCAPAC 1A-1 with a Douglas seat pan and possibly a NB-11? parachute assy.

-The book titled In Love and War may have more photos of flight gear.

Notes on flight gear:

-Revolver is most likely a Smith & Wesson Victory Model with 4in. barrel in a tan leather shoulder holster with a narrow strap.

-Flight gloves could be the B-3A in tan leather or possibly gray leather.

-MK-3C life preserver most likely with yellow bladders.

-Flight boots brown leather with steel toe and smooth soles with light pattern. Some of these boots were modified with

Vibram lug soles.

-Mark 2A gray plastic pilots kneeboard, not black painted aluminum.

-A-4E Skyhawk pilots pocket checklist with manila covers, not blue plastic covers.

-Ejection seat could be the ESCAPAC 1 or ESCAPAC 1A-1 with a Douglas seat pan and possibly a NB-11? parachute assy.

-The book titled In Love and War may have more photos of flight gear.

Thanks Northcoastaero! I just was waiting for you!!!

Wouldn't be easy found all that items, uh?

And whats about the 'torso' I have published?

Best, Tiger

P.s. if there's any member that got some of these stuff to sell or trade, I'm here!

It is interesting that you picked James Stockdale as your model. He eventually became an Admiral, highly decorated, and later a US Vice Presidential candidate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stockdale

Yep, I know the 'character', and I have think to him this summer, when I have been in 'Hanoi Hilton' prison..

I have ever loved the photo of him dressed with TS climbing down to the stairs, and starting to collect TS flight suit I have choose him for my reconstruction...

Thanks to you too!

Best, Tiger

HI Tiger, about the photo "torso" this set is too late for 1965, the survival is a SV2B, the life preserver a LPU23/P and the MA2 has Koch fittings (the upper Koch already exists in 1964 but they were not worn on A4 in 1965).

Best Croc

I enclose you a view of a MA2 Torso with RJE modified with an "integrated" SV1 Survival, it should give you an idea of what you are looking for (this one was from VA 155)

post-1289-0-84629600-1383575758.jpg

Best

Croc

northcoastaero

The helmet is a later APH-6D, introduced between 1967-1971. The mask appears to be a 1950s USAF MS-22001. Is there a design on the sides and back of the helmet?

Hi there!

Yep, on both of sides there's a sort of logo, that looks to me an 'A' and 'D' moulded together with a lightning. Means something?