1885 Shako Plates

Malas

I saw these three plates at a dealers table in Gettysburg I'm trying to figure out if there real or fake. I'm doing a restoration on an 1875 Shako that's missing the plate and don't want to put a repro on it. Any advise would be appreciated.

post-139091-0-50582000-1383431986.jpg

post-139091-0-49892400-1383432011.jpg

Thanks for your help, just for the future so I can pick out the fakes how do you tell its a Bannermans emblem is it the wire instead of the loops?

single wire, thinner stamped construction, and the tell-tale sign is the extra strand of metal running from the bottom anchor fluke to the globe

Would love to see this shako you're restoring

I won it at the Cowins auction last weekend. It was labeled as an 1872 but I believe the body is an 1875 do you agree? Yes the buttons are USMC. now I'm looking for a Pom Pom and plate. I have a plate but I would like to get one that has paint on it.

I'd go with the standard plate, the painted I believe were more ceremonial in nature. Pom-pom is going to be the difficult task

• 2 weeks later...

It looks better than it is its got some wear on the Pom Pom itself and there is wear on the bottom of the brass that mates with the shako. In any case I'm glad to get it. What do you think something like this is worth?