The 25th Infantry Division in Vietnam

Andrei

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

I have a question about this Jungle Jacket - is the original 25th infantry division shoulder patch and jacket from VN era?

img3485j.jpg

img3487ws.jpg

img3486u.jpg

img3660q.jpg

img3489j.jpg

Regards

Piotr

post-467-1249173954.jpg

M113 APC, 1/5th Infantry "Bobcats".

25th Infantry Division "Tropic Lightning" , Vietnam.

From zippo132's photostream, flickr.com

This is a great thread with awesome uniforms and pics.I love this pic with the wrench in the CIB.Must be combat mechanics or for a mech inf unit?

VolunteerArmoury

That particular one I would guestimate is a uniform most recently worn in the 1980s when those came back in frequent usage as a summer uniform. I don't think the 25th had Airborne elements at that time besides its LRS whereas now they have an Abn brigade. Could've been a removed Ranger tab (keep in mind one didn't & still don't have to be jump qualified to go thru Ranger School). Look the name up.

Hi

I have a question about this Jungle Jacket - is the original 25th infantry division shoulder patch and jacket from VN era?

img3485j.jpg

img3487ws.jpg

img3486u.jpg

img3660q.jpg

img3489j.jpg

Regards

Piotr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

img3485j.jpg

img3487ws.jpg

img3486u.jpg

img3660q.jpg

img3489j.jpg

Regards

Piotr

Worn in the 70s into the 80s I would say, the type was an issue item in the 25th Inf Div during this period, as the the Tropic Lighting Division, well, trained in the Tropics, the type was also an issue item in the old 193rd Inf Bde (Sep) in Panama during this period as well.

As to the tab? like Volunteer Armory, I don't think it would of been an Airborne Tab either, as this S/Sgt ain't got no Jump wings sewn on, I second V A,s suggestion that this S/Sgt could very well of been a Leg Ranger, a Leg Ranger being a Non Jump Qualified Soldier who is accepted for Ranger School, their fairly rare to be sure, though I knew one, I had one in the Company I was in Alaska, A Co 4th 9th Infantry, a Mexican American, I wish I could remember his last name. Oh! see...I just mention the race of the guy, I should be banned, thrashed then banned :lol:

Anyway, a Spec 4 later Sgt E-5, he was a popular trooper, well liked in the Company and wore on all his fatique items a Black Bordered Ranger Tab, the first I ever seen, though these Black Border Ranger Tabs I now know go back to around the 1969-1970 period. Leg Rangers from what our resident Leg Ranger told us, were treated more harshly, one thing I remember him talking about was the "Leg Ranger Tree" non Jumpers had to do inverted/upside down push-ups with their legs resting against the tree.

• 8 months later...

This small group recently came from the vets son in PA. His patched second pattern jacket, combat worn graffiti helmet cover and a few other small items not shown.

DSCN1706_zps2ea10f9c.jpg

Tommymonkey192

This small group recently came from the vets son in PA. His patched second pattern jacket, combat worn graffiti helmet cover and a few other small items not shown.

DSCN1706_zps2ea10f9c.jpg

OG-107 dated 1968 from the same vet. He was with H&HC, 2nd Brigade in 1966-67.

1275399_256907401151592_1072962947_o.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66

MP,

here is what I found on Cpt Wiese :

AIR MEDAL (HEROISM)

LTC Alfred M. Bracy, HHC, 2nd Bn, 14th Inf

MAJ James D. Beam, Co A, 25th Avn Bn

CPT Frederick Wiese, HHC, 4th Bn, 9th Inf

Name: WIESE FREDERICK W

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O03

MOS: 1542

MOS Title: Infantry Unit Commander

Entered: 6310

Discharged: 860627

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

I would have love to have it in my collection !

Thanks for showing the picture.

Andrei

Remember this guy ?

Look what I found. Gotta be the same guy, the insignia matches up pretty well.

post-10797-0-13389600-1391589279.jpg

post-10797-0-62976900-1391589293.jpg

post-10797-0-21934000-1391589311.jpg

post-10797-0-62629100-1391589322.jpg

post-10797-0-35093500-1391589336.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66

25th ID is on the right shoulder. On the left shoulder was a Ranger tab and what looks to me like ghosting from 23rd Americal SSI With Capt bars and I think Infantry BOS. Whats interesting is that on the right side you can see ghosting from 2 different 25th ID SSI. My guess is first there was a full color and then later switched to subdued. Looks like the US ARMY was also switched from an older black and yellow tape to a subdued version. With a little work this could be nicely restored. Shame that some patch junkie stripped it.

I just looked at the shirt again and compared it to the one in the original post. And its the same shirt. At first I thought it was a different shirt from the same guy, But its obvious one you take a good look. Its the same damn shirt and some friggin goofball ripped all the other insignia off of it.

Which shoulder the 25th ID SSI ?

• 2 weeks later...
TrenchfootJoe66

Im thinking of restoring this shirt. I originally considered putting full color patches on it but as I think it originally had them. But at some point Capt WeIse switched out for subdued stuff. At least that's my assumption. After considering it Ive decided to just use subdued as the pic posted earlier displays.

• 7 months later...

Some great stuff in this thread ! anyone know how to find out a service record ?

I have a fully badged 3rd pattern poplin Jungle Jacket from SFC Thomas Aaron Fisher 25th inf div, previous combat tour with 1st Air Cav and also his Class A tunic with full insignia DUI to 1st bn 9th infantry Manchu's, side cap and peaked cap.

I will post some pictures soon, O know he started out PFC Thomas A Fisher, Visual combat tracker and did 18 ish months in Vietnam !st Air Cav then 25th inf div, anyone remember him ?

• 1 month later...