The 25th Infantry Division in Vietnam

Andrei

New Romantic

Awesome updates guys, keep em coming!

I suppose Andrei was referring to me about the Wolfhounds T Shirt :rolleyes: . But wasn't the 4th Battalion later, 1980's on?

Awesome updates guys, keep em coming!

I suppose Andrei was referring to me about the Wolfhounds T Shirt :rolleyes::lol:Who else ?. But wasn't the 4th Battalion later, 1980's on?

:D

You're right, check my post about the 4th Wolfhounds. They were not sent to Vietnam and left the 25th Div. before the war.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!!!

These are one of my prized vietnam war things in my collection. They were given to me by a veteran who served with the 1st bn 27th infantry wolfhounds in the 25th infantry division.

p1000771p.jpg

p1000778.jpg

p1000779x.jpg

p1000781s.jpg

• 8 months later...
billnorberg
I am trying to track down the person named on the shirt: Capt. Norberg. So far the only Capt. Norberg of the 25th ID I can find is:

U.S. Army Personnel and Dependent Casualties, 1961-1981

about William G Norberg

Name: William G Norberg

Birth Date: 1933

Race: Caucasian (White)

Home State: Pennsylvania

Casualty Country: Vietnam, Republic of

Casualty Category: Battle Dead

Casualty Status: Hostile Dead: Killed Out-right (previous)

Casualty Date: 7 Jun 1966

Cause of Death: Not Booby Trap Connected: None Of The Above; Mines

Report Date: 7 Jun 1966

Officer Branch: Infantry

Division: 25th Inf Div

Personnel Catagory: Active Duty Army

Military Class: Officers

(by the way, some sources list him as a Major, but that appears to have been a posthumous promotion as he is also listed as a Captain, as in the above casualty report and in this official report:

" HEADQUARTERS

2D BATTALION 14TH INFANTRY

(BATTLE DRAGONS)

APO San Francisco 96225

AVTLFBB 19 July 1966

SUBJECT: Combat Operations After Action Report MACV (RCS/J3/32)

THRU: Commanding Officer

1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division

APO 96225

TO: Commander

US Military Assistance Command, Vietnam

ATTN: J343

APO US Forces 96243

1. Name or Identity and/or Type of Operation:

a. Operation FORT SMITH.

b. Search and Destroy; Pacification.

2. Dates of Operation:

03 June to 03 July 1966."

"....A 2/14 requested dozer use in his area to cover trench lines. Dozer arrived his location 071100 June 66, and hit a mine. Killed Capt Norberg, A Co Commander and Pfc Rivera of [CO, A 2/14 Inf]. Both were standing alongside dozer. "

Does anyone have a source that might help me learn if there was more than one infantry Capt. Norberg in the 25th ID in the early days of the war? Thanks.

My name is William G. Norberg, Jr. and that is my father's shirt. He was KIA in Vietnam in 1966 leaving behind 3 children ages 6,5 and 3 years old and a widow. We received his footlocker and medals as the last remembrances of our Dad. Unfortunately the footlocker stayed in my grandmother's attic and a cousin of mine thought she would help herself to a few "cool" items. She grabbed some fatigue pants and this shirt. FYI the paint probably came from my grandmother who had one of his shirts hanging in the cellar for use as a work shirt when painting. Needless to say my brother and I were shocked to see a shirt of his online.

As far as how it got all the way across country? My cousin lived in San Diego for many years and I am sure she lost track of it. I will say it sure is sad that she thought so little of my father, but then again youth is given to ignorance. Oh, and by the way, the information you have on his home state is incorrect, he was born and raised in North provenance, RI.

Any more questions? Suppositions?

Bill Norberg

I picked up a nice shirt at the thrift store today and while doing a going to search to learn more about the unit I was directed to our very own forum :) This is quite a long thread so I thought I'd make it a little longer.

This has a label dating it to Fiscal Year 1965.

post-214-1237603457.jpg

post-214-1237603467.jpg

Bob & Bill,

I did this thread about the 25th Infantry Div. in Vietnam as a tribute to the veterans. I posted related items of my collection and other members of USMF did the same.

I am sorry that your dad's shirt is not in your family. I think that the shirt has been sold on eBay a couple of weeks after being posted in this thread.

A.

billnorberg
Bob & Bill,

I did this thread about the 25th Infantry Div. in Vietnam as a tribute to the veterans. I posted related items of my collection and other members of USMF did the same.

I am sorry that your dad's shirt is not in your family. I think that the shirt has been sold on eBay a couple of weeks after being posted in this thread.

A.

No problem Andrei, it is part of life and it was just shocking to find out the shirt was on the internet. No hard feelings and keep up the good work. I am glad you collectors keep the memories alive and relevant.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Garandomatic

Any pieces from engineers within the 25th? I just scored an awesome grouping for next to nothing from a man that served in the 20th Engineer Brigade and the 65th Engineer Battalion of the 25th Div. Digital camera broke, so I'm kinda sunk as far as pictures go. Got his class As, lots of photos, newspapers, etc. Pretty good haul for my first Nam grouping.

post-467-1310255515.jpg

From scottyhunsucker's photostream on Flickr.com

[/quote

Nice photo of the favorite place to go in Cu Chi.

• 1 month later...

Was going through some photos on my computer. My collection is in storage but I found a picture of one of the 25th jackets I have. The sleeves had never been unrolled.

IMG_7294.jpg

Probably not very exciting but heres a cheaply made incountry bought watchband I had picked up from a 25th Div vet who bought it during his Dec 69-Feb 71 tour and never really used. These were sold by vietnamese vendors around 70-71 to GIs in the 25ths area as well as other places. Someone must of made a good amount of these particular watchbands since Ive seen them in different people pictures a few times. I attached photos from Vaughn Bantings (2/12 Inf, 1970-71) website (vlbating.com) that show these watchbands.

IMG_5177-1.jpg

IMG_5178-2.jpg

machinegun-chopper-door.jpg

buying-stuff-from-the-Vietn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I love this medic jacket ! :thumbsup: Congrats !

Sumner's was on eBay, wasn'it ?

Yes, the Sumner jacket was on ebay last year.

craig_pickrall

I thought I had added this one here a couple of years ago. I just did a look thru from page 1 and found out I never posted it.

post-5-1314486699.jpg

post-5-1314486706.jpg

post-5-1314486714.jpg

post-5-1314486724.jpg

post-5-1314486738.jpg

post-5-1314486746.jpg

post-5-1314486757.jpg

post-5-1314486768.jpg

post-5-1314486779.jpg

post-5-1314486791.jpg

post-5-1314486809.jpg

post-5-1314486819.jpg