WWII Early #d DSC and Purple Heart Group 12th Bomb Group

KASTAUFFER

Probably all the #d PHs awarded the same day as his on the same GO are all named the same way.

Exactly what I was thinking. May not be PQM engraving but it is no doubt "official" Government engraving (for official presentation). Not engraved after the fact.

W

• 1 year later...

When I was a kid, I lived across the street from a jeweler named Wendell Ives. Wendell made his living as a jeweler and watch repairman. During WWII, he was one of the first Norden bombsight mechanics. He served in North Africa and later in Italy with the 486th Bomb Squadron. Because he was a jeweler, he was rather adept at engraving and he said that he engraved a number of medals for award in North Africa and later in Italy. He did this both officially for the chain of command, and as a method for raising extra cash when soldiers (usually officers) would bring un-named medals to him for engraving.

I'm not saying that Wendell engraved these, but there have to have been a few guys in theater who had the skill to do the engraving on these and other medals. It is great to see this group again Kurt!

Allan

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...