WWII Early #d DSC and Purple Heart Group 12th Bomb Group

KASTAUFFER

Many of you probably saw this group on the forum for sale. I decided to buy it and follow my instincts on research.

So far I only have an extract for the DSC citation, but I have ordered the complete one. What is unique about early 9th AAF GO's from 1943, is that the medal numbers are often hand noted on the file copies of the GO's.

MVC-012L.JPG

MVC-032L.JPG

His DSC is actually a WWI vintage medal that was not issued for WWI. It is in a block of untraceable WWI DSC numbers. This one is # 4928 and we know now was issued in 1943.

MVC-013L.JPG

MVC-014L.JPG

MVC-009L.JPG

MVC-011L.JPG

His Purple Heart is #d 83350

I have a copy of GO# 38 HQ 9th AAF awarding medal # 83382 to another officer in the 12th BG. With the numbers so close I feel very optimistic I will be able to trace both the DSC and the PH by number to Lt. Larson.

Tracing medals by number for WWII is normally the exception rather than the rule. I am hoping this is the exception!

MVC-003L.JPG

MVC-001L.JPG

MVC-002L.JPG

I know the GO# for the DSC, all I need to do now is wait for the award cards so that I can find out what GO's his Purple Heart + OLC were awarded on. Once I have that, I can order copies of both GO's and will hopefully be able to report good news!

Very nice find Kurt, the citation is definitely fitting of the DSC...brave man.

Thanks for posting, good luck on the continued research.

Philip

I think that is the first time I have seen an OLC mention on a headstone.

The engraving on the Purple Heart is something else, really nice flare to it...now the DSC engraving would be classified as "unofficial," correct?

Philip

Philip,

I have heard that a lot of Air Force units stationed in UK in 42 & 43 had medals locally engraved for presentation to the Airmen so these may be officially engraved. I'm sure those more knowledgeable the me will correct my statement if need be.

Regards,

John

PS Kurt, thanks for posting and great research.

Hi John and Philip

I do think these were engraved locally. Here is a link to a DFC I think was also engraved locally to another 9th AAF crewman in North Africa in 1943:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/101681-nicest-aaf-dfc-engraving-i-have-ever-seen/

The reason I think they may have been engraved locally is because of this notation on an early GO awarding medals to men of the 9th AAF from the same time period in North Africa,

Kurt

image.jpg

• 4 months later...

The research gods have smiled on me today. I got back copies of the general orders for his DSC and Purple Heart and my suspicions were confirmed..... The numbers were in them!!!!!

That means besides them being engraved they are also traceable by number.

It was a good day.

Larson DSC2.jpg

Thanks Adam!

Here is the GO for the OLC to his Purple Heart. Its for the action that he earned the DSC for.

Larson PH2.jpg

Kurt, Great in-depth research! I really appreciate the efforts you take to document the history of these veterans. It's always interesting to see what avenue of research you are going to take to document an item. Well done!

• 5 months later...